Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal a sliding study door?

stella7
Community Newcomer

How to seal a sliding study door?

Hello! Is it possible for me to seal a sliding door? This is a guest bedroom/study door with quite a large gap at the top and on the side. Seeking a solution that would help soundproof the room. Thank you! 

IMG_5023.JPGIMG_5024.JPGIMG_5026.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal a sliding study door?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @stella7. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a door.

Barn doors, by their nature, aren't ideal for sealing against sound transfer due to the gaps that typically surround them, especially on the sides and top. Even with attempts to reduce the gap, you may still experience some noise leakage. Is there anything that would obstruct the door being moved closer to the wall, like a skirting board or other obstacles? If not, you could potentially adjust the door's brackets to move it further in towards the wall, which might help reduce the gap.

You could also consider applying a door seal along the large gap. However, since the barn door doesn't close flush like a traditional door, it might not result in a noticeable improvement for soundproofing. If soundproofing is a major concern, another option could be to add a second layer of soundproofing on the wall or explore alternative door styles designed for tighter seals.

Let me mention @Noyade, @dave1 and @Nailbag for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

As per Mitchell's @MitchellMc  thoughts above, @stella7 

Regards the soundproofing problem - what "noise" is entering the room?

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @stella7 

its not going to be a "soundproofing" solution but I think it would make a considerable difference if this idea was worth considering?

With the door removed, fit timber trim to close the gap to 5mm and paint it white to match the existing architrave. Then install the Moroday 6mm self adhesive brush seal. This will allow the door to freely travel and create a decent seal against noise

Hope this helps.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 6.04.12 PM.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects