Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore vintage sideboard?

ChrisA
Cultivating a Following

How to restore vintage sideboard?

169A6385-D814-424A-9F69-F14BEC28A371.jpeg

E2921D91-8FB9-482D-A9BC-6B5BCBBF5326.jpeg

  

4F34D0D4-1B5D-4A42-88CB-077CD42F3295.jpeg

1AAC7FE7-CEF3-47ED-B14C-0A4A1E3015C6.jpeg

048DFF7A-F765-4722-BDA8-219C65A9D389.jpeg

CC06A927-C5BE-45AC-A7FB-9DA8E6F135AA.jpeg

7BBC681A-C96D-471E-913E-B64832FF74BF.jpeg

Hi everyone,

would love some advice on how to restore this vintage sideboard…I’m afraid  to start in case I stuff it up!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore vintage sideboard?

Hi @ChrisA,

Since the sideboard isn’t in terrible condition, starting with a gentle approach like using Mr Sheen or a high-quality furniture polish is a smart first step. This can help rejuvenate the surface and bring out the natural beauty of the wood. Often, a good polish is all that’s needed to achieve a satisfactory result without the need for more intensive work.

However, if polishing doesn’t deliver the desired effect, you might consider sanding. Be cautious, as many vintage pieces feature a veneer—a thin layer of fine wood that’s easy to sand through if you're not careful. Start with a 240-grit sandpaper and work gently, focusing on removing the old coating rather than the wood itself. It’s essential to use light, even strokes to avoid damaging the veneer. Your goal is to strip back the deteriorated finish without compromising the structure of the piece.

Once the old finish has been removed, you can decide on how to refinish the sideboard. One option is to apply a varnish, which will provide a durable and hard-wearing protective layer. Polyurethane varnish is particularly robust and works well if the sideboard will be frequently used. Multiple thin coats, sanded lightly between applications with fine-grit sandpaper, will create a smooth, long-lasting finish. Alternatively, if you prefer a softer, more natural look, you can opt to polish the unit instead, allowing the natural grain and character of the wood to shine through. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ChrisA,

I trust you'll find Mitch's reply very helpful. 

Just thought I'd also tag a few experienced furniture upcyclers for their thoughts:

@Renowayoflife@Benskimo@craftyhopper@marliemakesit@lifestylebymari 

Jason

ChrisA
Cultivating a Following

Thankyou very much Mitchell and Jason…it’s a great help.

I think Mitchell is right …the front draws and sliding panels seem to have some type of wood on the front and then chip board below that.

I was thinking of sanding and then using danish oil..do you think that would work out?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That should work, @ChrisA, but first, I would try some of the Danish oil on the worn sections to see if it alone is enough to revitalise the surface. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects