Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore an antique photo frame?

keira
Just Starting Out

How to restore an antique photo frame?

IMG_9193.jpeg

IMG_9192.jpeg

Hi all, 

I am with a customer who has photos of an antique photo frame and the backside is chipped. They were wanting assistance with figuring out a product they could use to mould the back of the photo frame and shape. Here are photos for reference, any help much appreciated!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: antique photo frame restoration

Hello @keira 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your customers picture frame.

If you are trying to recreate the corners of the picture frame, I suggest using Timbermate wood filler.  It is a water based interior grade wood filler containing no acrylic or latex, ensuring that your product application will not shrink, sink, crack or fall out. It comes in a variety of wood colours, so I suggest bringing the frame to the store and matching it to the filler of the same colour or close to it.

The varnish surface will need to be sanded off in order for the filler to anchor on to the timber fibres. Filling the corner as it is will not produce an ideal bond. My best advice is to fill the corner as close as possible to the original size so that you won't have to sand a great deal off. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects