Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint handrail stairs?

ramonrodriguez
Finding My Feet

How to repaint handrail stairs?

Want to paint stair rail black

i presume we just need to sand, prime and paint? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: handrail stairs - paint

Hi @ramonrodriguez,

Thank you for your question about repainting an already-painted handrail with a new colour.

The steps you've provided are essentially what needs to be done, but there are a couple of things I would add.

Start by inspecting the handrail to ensure the current paint is well adhered to the railing. If there are any sections that are flaking, remove them with a paint scraper.

The next step is to confirm what type of paint, oil or water-based, was used before. Dampen a cloth or cotton ball with isopropyl alcohol then rub the cloth over a small, inconspicuous area of the painted surface. If the paint comes off onto the cloth, it’s water-based, if no paint comes off, it's likely oil-based. This will determine your choice of paint and primer.

The next step is to sand the handrail back to remove the glossy coating. Use 120 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper to sand the railing until it loses its shine.

Once the shine has been removed you will move on to priming and painting. Cover everything you do not want paint on with drop sheets and painter's tape.

If you've found it is water-based paint, apply 1 coat of a water-based primer such as this Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat followed by 2 coats of water-based paint such as Dulux Aquanamel.

If you've found it is oil-based paint, apply 1 coat of oil-based primer such as this Dulux 1Step Oil Based Primer Sealer And Undercoat followed by 2 coats of oil-based paint such as Dulux Superenamel

If it is oil-based, ensure you have plenty of ventilation, while painting as the fumes can be quite intense.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects