Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove water stain on hardwood timber floors?

rs2
Just Starting Out

How to remove water stain on hardwood timber floors?

Hi - looking for help as to how we might remove / repair this water stain on new oak hardwood timber floors. Are there any options other than re-sanding & sealing? Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: water stain on hard wood timber floors

Hi @rs2,

Thank you for your question about how to remove water stains on hardwood floors and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

I'd suggest using Diggers Rust And Stain Cleaner, which is an oxalic acid-based product that can remove stains in timber. Please note that it is a light bleaching agent, so you should do a small test in an inconspicuous area before committing to its use for removing this stain.

Follow the instructions on the label closely and ensure you wear gloves and a mask while using this product. 

Allow me to tag @arfabuck, a very experienced woodworker to see if they've got any further advice.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove water stain on hardwood timber floors?

Hi @rs2,

I just wanted to point out that if the method suggested doesn't work, you might need to look at having the floor professionally restored, most likely through sanding and re-sealing. The stain has likely penetrated quite deeply into the timber. You might be able to reduce the severity of the stain, but being able to totally remove it is probably not possible. 

Before you try the product mentioned above, I recommend you enlist the services of a professional floor restorer to provide a quote on the work. You have a lovely floor; it would be a shame to make the stain worse.

Once again, if you need to sand, I recommend a professional, as what looks like engineered floorboards are not very forgiving of sanding mistakes.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects