Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove this type of ceiling light cover?

tommyw
Finding My Feet

How to remove this type of ceiling light cover?

2E945EDA-7D6A-41AD-87B3-E11DAB2E316D.jpeg

Hi all,

I have been trying to remove the glass cover of this ceiling light but it just won’t come off.

48BADC97-439A-4522-90DF-79AD852D98CC.jpeg

There are no screw. I can push it in but then it wasn’t able to slide off because of the frame.

Any suggestions and advice on how to remove this glass cover? 

Many thanks in advance! 
Tommy

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove this type of ceiling light cover?

Hi @tommyw 

To me - and I'm probably wrong - and I only base it on the old light covers I use to have - you need to pull a little harder. There are spring clips that hold the cover on by pressing against the internal surface of the glass cover. Logically it must come outta that frame.

But I must admit - the outer frame is a new one to me.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tommyw. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a light cover.

If the glass panel is larger than the internal rim of the frame, then I'd suggest it can't pass through it. That would lead me to believe that the whole frame comes off the ceiling. I think @Noyade might be on the money with spring clips. If there are no screws in the frame, I suspect it's attached to the mounting plate with spring clips. How firmly is the frame attached, and does it move at all? 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @tommyw 

Not 100% sure that glass pulls down and is held by clips just due to the fact it pushes back up if clips held it I would tend to think it would limit the amount of upward travel.

I seem to think the whole base comes down and might be held by clips having a base plate then the side and glass plate as one section. I could be wrong but worth a try. Grab opposite sides of the fitting and gently pull down to see if it feels like it moves like its held by clips otherwise look for grup screws that maybe holding it up.

Failing that I suggest the following tool 😉

Screenshot_20220903-193453_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

tommyw
Finding My Feet

Thank you community for all your inputs. I really appreciate it!! The glass could not pass through the frame and we could pull the frame down. We could not really visualise the clips until we pulled the whole frame down and hold the clips together to get the frame out of the clips. Thank you all again for your help!

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @tommyw awesome mate glad we were able to help.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects