Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove the newel caps for staircase renovation?

Missskybird
Building a Reputation

How to remove the newel caps for staircase renovation?

I am currently renovating our staircase. It has not been painted in 38 years, fortunately it is in amazing condition.

It has taken four coats of primer / undercoat but I am very happy how it is looking.

My question relates to replacing the newel cap (the top of the newel post) before finishing.

Currently it has three round tops but I want to replace them with flat newel caps.

I am wanting advice on removing the existing caps. I have been told that it is unlikely to be screwed but was actually turned as part of the post.

Any advice on removal would be appreciated. Thank you.IMG_1360.jpegIMG_1360.jpegIMG_1359.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Staircase Renovation

Hi @Missskybird,

I'd agree that it's likely to be a turned piece, as there are no obvious joint marks. You'd need to cut them off for removal. My only concern would be how you'd mount a flat cap, as the surface beneath the top is not flat; that would also need to be adjusted. You could cut the top off and then follow the existing curves where the square post transitions, rounding over the top.

You'd need a very sharp saw, and setting up some guides wouldn't be a bad idea. If you are not confident, I'd recommend enlisting the services of a craftsperson to complete the work.

Let me tag @Nailbag, @Noyde and @dave1 for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to remove the newel caps for staircase renovation?

Hi @Missskybird I would have to agree with @MitchellMc this is a single turned post that would require a skilled local woodworker. Google "local mens shed" as many of the members are highly skilled or will know someone.

Having said that, if you wanted to tackle this yourself and take your time in the process, I would use a tenon saw held as horizontal as possible. Start on the slightly higher side of the area I marked with the arrow. Have a second person eye-balling you would be helpful. Don't try and cut it all the way through from the same side. Make several cut passes then move around and keep this up until all the way through. Rubbing some candle wax to the lower body of the saw will help guide it through smoothly.

A company called Hammersmith have a good range of post capitals you can order online if you don't already have a source.

Let us know how you go.

Hope this helped.

Nailbag 

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 10.11.29 PM.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects