Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove stippled ceiling paint?

LibbyTimmins
Getting Established

How to remove stippled ceiling paint?

Hope to get some expert advice regarding removing or skim coating this stippled “Cow’s Foot “ ceiling. 
unfortunately covering it with gypock isn’t an option due to depth which would compromise the minimum height as per the building code. 
Here’s the story so far. The stippled finish doesn’t lend itself to sanding or even a wire brush. 
I was advised to use paint stripper which had been effective but with all the usually drawback. 
Smell, tacky mess, full PPE, bloody hard work. Even though the result has been okay Don’t know if, after washing down with a professional cleaner I.e Tricleanium if the primer will adhere successfully. 
There are no chips or scratches on the ceiling which is smooth concrete. 
With an another 7-8 Sqm of the same in the living/kitchen area would I be better off paying a professional Plasterer to skim coat it flat instead? 
you thoughts on a solution would be most appreciated. Thanks 

IMG_6990.jpeg

IMG_7033.jpeg

IMG_7008.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove stippled ceiling paint?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LibbyTimmins. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about re-finishing a ceiling.

Given the somewhat unusual texture I just wanted to point out that there's a risk of asbestos exposure from homes built or renovated before 1990. Before starting any work, determine if asbestos is present by having your home assessed and taking necessary precautions to protect yourself and others. Access resources from the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency for guidance on safe practices. 

Have you tried a bladed scraper? You might have more luck separating the texture from the concrete with a scraper rather than using a wire wheel. 

Provided the texture is well adhered plastering over it could be an option. It would be best to discuss this with a professional to determine whether the plaster would bond sufficiently with the existing coating. I'd imagine the texture was painted at some stage, so plaster might not adhere to the non-porous surface. A professional plasterer can assess the condition of your ceiling and recommend the best approach, potentially saving you time and ensuring a smoother finish.

Let me tag a few of our knowledgeable members, @Dave-1@Nailbag and @TedBear  for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @LibbyTimmins 

A painful job whichever way tiy do it I am afraid 😕 I would actually continue on the course that you are on even tho its hard work. Scrapers and paint remover will give you the best results for getting the concrete back to being just concrete 😕 

I wouldnt coat anything over it as I am sure even tho its a pain to remove you would have failures down the track as the existing paint/skim coating fails. Doing the work now will let you have something solid and lasting going forward. My only suggestion to help out would be some sort of scaffolding that you can lie down on so you can work directly on the ceiling without having to do that whole bend backwards..

A hard Job to enter into the Bunnings community, Definently a good one to tackle and believe me when you have done it you will cheer, prob mostly because its done but it will look great :smile: Welcome to the Bunnings community! There are a fair few removing paint ect from concrete projects in here, mine was from a patio. I broke that down into 1m squares and just worked away at it bit by bit instead of trying to do it all in one go.

Dave

Thanks Mitchell

Thanks for you encouragement & advice  Dave. 
Will soldier on. 😜

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @LibbyTimmins the quickest and most effective way to clean the your concrete ceiling is to use a double row cup wheel fitted to an angle grinder. I have used this accessory numerous times with the last job similar to yours but on the floor. The drawback even being light handed to focus on removing the surface glues it will still great a lot of dust from contact with the concrete. The trick is to use it as flat as possible to avoid digging marks in. Even if you used this to remove the thicker areas and then manual scrapers as both @Dave-1 & @MitchellMc have mentioned.

You will need to use drop sheets on your walls and floors and wear full body PPE and P2 respirator dust mask.

Now having suggested all that, do you not have 15mm to play with in lowering the ceiling height or are you that tight on?

regards, Nailbag

Thanks for you advice Nailbag, 

might be a bit if out of my league with angle grinder . Also it’s a Body  Corp managed site so probs a no go. 
As mentioned previously, I don’t have much leeway with the Buikding Code of 2.4m minimum floor to ceiling in order to instal a covering material. 
The concrete ceiling is quite smooth with very few Chips or divets.

I have had success, however, smelly messy, hazardous & laborious, with paint stripper (in Full PPE) & Hans sanded & washed back with Tricleanium to remove any stripper reside. It’s come up pretty good I think. (?) 
Hoping now for recommendations on a suitable Primer. (?)0
Learning some valuable lessons with you guys . 

Thank for the support. 

IMG_7045.jpeg

IMG_7044.jpeg

I would treat it like a concrete garage floor @LibbyTimmins but looking at the available primers they don’t get great reviews. This doesn’t mean none are suitable but I’m hesitant to suggest one as I’ve not used any of them. I would speak to the experts at the Paint desk for their recommendations as they deal with the manufacturing reps and will have greater insight. 

I don’t know the brand only that Bunnings sell a finish concrete paint product that you apply a grit during the drying process for extra grip and durability. On a ceiling you obviously don’t need these but it might offer a finish that hides imperfections in the surface?

regards Nailbag 

Morning @LibbyTimmins 

Nice work! :smile: Definently worth the effort :smile: It would have been a pain but you have done it now!

The only paint I have used for concrete is for the floor, and the colours available are few. Id def wait for @MitchellMc  or @EricL to wander through and see what they suggestest as a primer. White with no grit and something that bonds would be what I am after with all the effort that you have done :smile:

Dave

Hi @LibbyTimmins,

I recommend you use Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker - 1L White. It's a water-based primer that is suitable for cement and concrete.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to paint a ceiling.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects