Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove roller from blind mount?

panoramica
Growing in Experience

How to remove roller from blind mount?

We are renting and a departing flatmate has left us with a broken blind. It looks like he has pulled the blind down too hard and separated the blind from its roller. There is a sticky strip on the blind and we are hoping that we can reattach this to the roller, but it's impractical to even try this while the roller is up on the window mounts.

So my question is, how do we remove the roller from the mounts? A quick Google search brought up a couple of recommendations. One was to pry the roller off the right hand side of the mount, but I pried pretty hard and this didn't work. The other was to push the end pin in to release the mechanism, but the left hand pin doesn't seem to push in.

Left hand mountLeft hand mountRight hand mount 2Right hand mount 2Right hand mount 1Right hand mount 1Unmounted blind with sticky residueUnmounted blind with sticky residue

panoramica
Growing in Experience

Re: How to remove roller from blind mount?

Today I managed to get the roller down and the blind back on it.

@MitchellMcInitially I tried some right angle screwdrivers - "SCA Offset Screwdriver Set 3 Piece" NZD 5.99 - after ordering, they arrived the next day, but the angled part was far too long to get access to the bracket screws. I assumed that I'd have the same problem with a ratchet handle with suitable bits so I shelved that idea.

The property agent had done an inspection a week ago and advised us that this was a tenant issue so we had to fix it ourselves (or pay someone to). They also had a relaxed attitude about 'wear and tear', so I realised I could be rough if I needed to.

I pried the right hand side of the roller (with the chain) away from the bracket, then jammed the tool into it to keep it from popping back in. Then I twisted the end of the roller so the pins wouldn't be tempted to re-seat in the bracket (thanks @JoeAzza) and the roller came away, with the left end just popping out. Thankfully the roller was light so it didn't come crashing down onto the window sill as I'd feared.

I rolled the blind out on the bed, so that the display side of the handle plate was facing me, with the solid side of the handle plate facing the mattress. Then, working at the other end I laid the roller on top of the blind, an inch or so from the end. I pulled the blind on to the roller and pushed it into the indent (as instructed by the property agent - this part was fiddly with one person). Then rolled it all the way up.

I remounted the blind, then had an additional problem where I couldn't get the blind all the way down, because the chain joiner would hit the back of the roller mechanism. I pulled the chain out, ensured the blind was all the way up, then fed the chain into the front of the roller, using a screwdriver to drive the roller action while simultaneously twisting the roller itself. The chain emerged out the back of the roller and I reattached it to the other half of the chain. The blind now hangs down about 9cm from the roller. I think I'd have to pull the blind off the roller to get it to retract all the way, and I can't be bothered with that.

Thanks to everyone for their help in resolving this issue. Now I just need to find someone for the room!

Dan

Blind back on the roller, yay!Blind back on the roller, yay!

Congrats on solving the issue, @panoramica, and many thanks for letting us know the solution. I trust any of our members coming across this discussion with a similar issue will appreciate your efforts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@panoramica Well done good to hear it’s fixed, great feedback.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects