Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove console shelf on tv unit and drop top lower?

vivienne1
Just Starting Out

How to remove console shelf on tv unit and drop top lower?

IMG_0829.jpeg

Hi

i want to lower the tv unit to a low line and will add legs for little extra height.. 

how do I remove the console shelf’s and then re-attach the top on top the cupboards … is this possible and how to make it look not like a hack job.. 

thanks in advance 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: removing console shelf on tv unit and dropping top lower

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vivienne1. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about reducing the height of an entertainment unit.

To start lowering the unit, you'll need to carefully cut through the vertical supports just above the lower drawers. A sharp, fine-toothed saw like a pull saw would work well for this task. If you're comfortable using a circular saw, that could also be an option for a more precise cut, but only for the outer two verticals.

After removing the top section, inspect the uprights to see if they are attached to the top shelf with fixings. If so, simply remove them. If not, you may need to cut the uprights off the top shelf. 

Once the uprights are removed and you've sanded your cut lines smoothly, you can reposition the top shelf onto the lower section. To secure it neatly, apply wood glue to the edges and then screw up through the top of the drawers into the underside of the shelf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

cut.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vivienne1
Just Starting Out

Re: How to remove console shelf on tv unit and drop top lower?

Thanks for instructions I thought that’s how I could do it.. but wasn’t sure that easy and what tool to cut it.. I will check out and purchase from Bunnings… thanks again… I give update on pic when done 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects