Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to read a Bunnings paint label?

Sharon1003
Finding My Feet

How to read a Bunnings paint label?

Hi. I have recently bought a sample paint pot, asked for the colour to be 1/4 strength, and I’m not sure if it has been tinted properly as it seems very close to the original colour when I put it on the wall.   What I asked for was Taubmans Bras D’Or  1/4 strength.      The label doesn’t say 1/4 anywhere, but I’m not skilled in reading paint code.  I’m hoping someone can confirm for me if it really is 1/4 strength or not.  Thankyou.  

F572B2CB-1356-4643-BA40-9FA5B0310D5F.jpeg

BadBuk
Just Starting Out

Re: How to read a Bunnings Paint Label

Hi,

I have looked around for color codes and think that the formula represents:

1.75 units of EE - Yellow Oxide

0.5 unit of M - Black

Paul

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to read a Bunnings Paint Label

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Paul (@BadBuk). It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about paint tinting.

That's about correct, but I've always heard EE referred to as ochre rather than yellow oxide. 

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bhuvn
Just Starting Out

how to read the paint details?

20240905_013559.jpg

 Could you please tell me how to read this paint information?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to read the paint details?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bhuvn. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about reading a paint label.

What type of information were you hoping to learn from the label? 

The colour is Basalt, likely in the Colorbond range. It's from the Taubmans colour library. The product is an exterior All-Weather paint. It is low-sheen with an accent  15L base can. Three tints, B, C, and F, are used to make up the colour. These letters represent specific colours that get added to the can, and the numbers that follow them indicate the increments added.

If you have any specific questions I'd be more than happy to answer them for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Been reading through the comments and still haven't been able to determine the colour I have .

Please see colour code below: 

B  0Y 2N 0.25

C  0Y 6N

L  0Y 0N 0.25

I don't have a photo of the label as someone on site had a handheld device to scan the surface and came out with this colour code.

Can you please advise the name of the colour so I can source it? 

I believe it is a form of white shade from a Taubmans product.

Thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jmarq. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about paint colours.

If a team member did a colour match on a sample, then there is no name for the colour. The sample might have been of a named colour, but the spectro reader won't pick that up; it just gives you a formulation to match the colour.

In order to recreate that colour, you could do another colour match using another sample or a match from some of that paint if you have any left. Unfortunately, you have the colour code, but we also need to know what brand the colour match was created in, what size tin it was, and what base colour it was mixed from. Without those details, the colour code you have there isn't enough for us to recreate the colour.

I'm keen to assist you further. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects