Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a tv bracket to side of a cabinet in caravan?

stormtigers
Finding My Feet

How to mount a tv bracket to side of a cabinet in caravan?

Hi guys, have a caravan and a previous 24invh TV was not big enough to watch from other end of the van.

Purchased a lightweight 32inch 12v model but the existing bracket won't (a) take the vesa pattern for mounting and (b) even if it did would not extended far enough to have the tv in the middle of the "aisle for viewing".

I have purchased a really nice and very well made bracket that weighs 6 kg that is perfect for the job.

The TV weighs 6 kgs also.

As it is designed to be moved with pivotal arms etc I am concerned the weight and movement would lead to degradation of the hole in the cabinet over time.  I have attached photo of the existing installation with a not that light armature for the 24" set.

Appreciate your advice

tv-01.jpgtv-02.jpgtv-03.jpgtv-04.jpg

Re: What do you suggest for mounting a tv bracket to side of a cabinet in caravan

Hi @stormtigers 

I gave this considerable thought and came to the conclusion there had to be a better way especially as it needs to be demountable for traveling.

My idea would be to drill holes through the side of the cabinet and insert some of these on the inside

https://www.bunnings.com.au/adoored-3-8-t-nut-leg-furniture-4-pack_p0101567 

Then find a washer with the centre hole just bigger than these and a washer that the outside diameter is bigger than these (larger than the hole in the first washer). Put the washers in place on the outside at first and use a bolt to tighten them on the inside into the panel and then remove it and screw it through from the other side with the washers in place (bigger one next to the panel). These can be tightened to fix them in place. You can then simply buy some wing nuts to hold the bracket on to the protruding bolts. This way the whole assembly can be removed for travelling fairly easily and quickly.

R4addZ
Getting Established

Re: What do you suggest for mounting a tv bracket to side of a cabinet in caravan

Hi @stormtigers 

On further thought, if you are happy to have the furniture fixings on the outside of the cabinet, you could just use a large washer on the inside to spread the load and achieve the same end.

Thanks for ideas. The TV with the mounting plate is detachable from the armature arrangement This alleviates any problems in having to remove everything from the surface mounted bracket during travelling.

The bracket and armature don't weight that much and can be retracted almost flush with the cabinet for travel.

But this idea is one I will keep in mind if I get tired of removing refitting down the track.  Cheers for the help

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects