Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount TV on steel studs?

ritawuau
Just Starting Out

How to mount TV on steel studs?

Hi,

I am looking to mount a 65' tv (24kg) onto my apartment wall, with steel studs. 

Looking to purchase this bracket as I am aware that fixed brackets are more sturdy -> Crest Large Extra Strong Fixed TV Bracket / Wall Mount - Bunnings Australia

Weight of TV + Bracket should 26-27kg. 

Question - 
Given that I am not too handy (so I can't really do the 'spreading weight across a wooden plank' method suggested in other threads)

What is the best way to mount the TV onto the metal stud, to ensure its secure and sturdy?  I am confused because my google search returned multiple suggestions, such as snap toggle or metal screws. 

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Rita

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mounting TV on steel stud

Hello @ritawuau 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about mounting your TV.

One of the reasons we recommend mounting the TV on a timber panel is that it spreads the weight of the TV on the stud wall. I understand if you are a little bit of hesitant when mounting a timber panel. But the steps for mounting the TV bracket are exactly the same as mounting the timber panel. That includes measuring, drilling and mounting the screws.

If you can do those steps, you can mount the timber panel. Another reason is that the TV bracket can only go across 2 studs. Your TV is approximately 24kg++ which is equivalent to the weight of a Stylus WELS 3 Star 6L/full Allegro Link Toilet Suite. It means that the mounting point for the bracket must be strong enough to carry the weight and we suggest using at least 3 studs.

Just to give you a general idea of how the timber panel goes across the studs, you'll need a stud finder and a pencil to mark the position of the studs. Here is a handy guide to help you - How to use a stud finder. Once you have the position of the studs, measure the distance from one end to the other. This will tell you how wide the timber stud must be. For example, if the distance between the studs is 450mm and you are using three studs, you 'll need a timber piece at least 900mm wide.

Now it is ok to go a little bit bigger such as 1 meter+. I propose looking at the 285 x 19mm 1.2m DAR Pine Premium as a possible candidate to mount onto your wall. I recommend using Tox M8 x 100mm Heavy Duty Metal Toggle. I suggest using at least 3 toggles per stud. 

Once you succeed in mounting the timber panel, you can then mount the TV bracket to the timber panel. Make sure to follow the directions included in the TV bracket.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects