Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level a yellow tongue floor?

wazza77
Cultivating a Following

How to level a yellow tongue floor?

I need to level a floor in my loungeroom. House was built in 1990s, uses yellow tongue chipboard floors. 

I am getting a new engineered floor ( laminate wood on mdf backing - not cheap....) put in,  which will be glued down to the existing chipboard floor.

I can take off the slight ridges where the bearers are under the floor, but the sag between bearers I may not be able to fully eliminate.

There is a max 1mm / m sag tolerance the new floor, so the salesman says.

Can I use some type of concrete based floor leveller to fill in the sag areas ?

I was concerned concrete based floor leveller would soak into the chipboard and cause it to swell, plus it might also sweat moisture and stop the glue sticking to it.

Any thoughts welcome

wazza77
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to level a yellow tongue floor?

So this is the end result.

Funnily enough, the original skirting boards look all wrong so raw pine 20mm high skirting boards may be the go, as i quite like the art gallery look of floor meets wall.

wazza77_0-1723766855680.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @wazza77 

:smile: Good move and having a look and modifying what you like. I have gone in with too set a mind sometimes and only after "discussions" do I try a different way and actually see its a good idea :smile:

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Looks great @wazza77 gives a nice clean modern line look.

Nailbag

wazza77
Cultivating a Following

Thank you. Ive always been a fan of a clean art gallery look in a house, and the new floor with minimalist skirting boards seem to fit the bill. 

I like the slightly wider floor boards and the end result is a quite smick and a little bit fancy end result.

Ive attached a photo of the wood used. Its 4mm thick oak on composite pine backing, but beautifully engineered so it just clicks together nicely.

All up for all the work ( materials plus levelling 80m2 of floor ) was $21k. But the end result looks and just feels quality. 

Next job is taking pine 42mm x 19mm DAR boards and milling down to 19m x 19mm for the skirting boards. Ill update once the new minimalist skirting boards are in. Ive uploaded a photo of the flooring. My phone camera is rubbish so its not the best photo.

IMG20240818082742.jpg

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Very nice work @wazza77 , but crickie doesn't it add up!

nailbag

wazza77
Cultivating a Following

Yeah i was skeptical spending so much money, but end result was worth it. The floor now being a composite material of wood-concrete-wood all glued together also has a sound deadening effect. Still need to buy rugs, wife was scarily cruising web sites for furniture and rugs, so the spend hasn't finished yet...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects