Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay Japanese-style flooring?

Virginia2
Just Starting Out

How to lay Japanese-style flooring?

Hi all, I’m creating a different style of floor covering for my loft. I am laying down coarse hessian on 20mm thick plywood and covering the joins with 40mm x 8mm round edge Porta pine around 50 meters of pine strip.

this will not be a high traffic area. We have loosely laid down hessian as a floor covering that has worked well for many years and now want to make it look less temporary.

questions.

what gas nail gun should I hire from Bunnings hire shop to secure the pine strip ?

what nails should I use ?

what would be a suitable glue to hold down the edges and ends of the hessian ?

all advice and input very much appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lay Japanese-style flooring?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Virginia2. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing flooring.

You'd be looking at the Trim Master Gas Bradder. This gun fires thin pin-style nails, which would be perfect for securing your moulding. The other style is for much larger nails and constructing house framing. You should select a brad nail slightly shorter than 28mm. Something similar to the Paslode 25mm DA Angle Brad Nails would work. I would do some test nailing and check the underside of your plywood (if it's visible) to ensure the nails do not create lumps. If the underside is not visible, then that doesn't matter.

PVA glue can be used to glue the hessian and moulding down. Or, if you're looking for more of an instant hold to position it, spray adhesive.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects