Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install timber slat feature wall and shelf in guest room?

Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

How to install timber slat feature wall and shelf in guest room?

Hi, I am looking to install a feature timber panel in my guest room to help break up the white cold gyprock feeling. I came across this product, link below.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/prempanel-2700-x-600-x-21mm-oak-timber-acoustic-panel_p0455959

I am looking to cover the wall only 1.2m high (right above the GPO) x 3.2m long as a bed will be placed right behind the GPO in the sketch below. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

I am also looking to install a narrow shelf above the 1.2m timber panel wall where small paintings and like could be placed on top. Any suggestions for a 3.2m narrow shelf that will sit on top of the timber panel wall feature?

Yangaz_0-1725189438204.png

Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to install timber slat feature wall and shelf in guest room?

Thanks @Dave-1 and @Nailbag 

Now considering just leaving the skirting on lol appreciate the wisdom and advice though.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Cut the black material trim to the same height as the skirting. Paint the skirting black and it will have the same result @Yangaz 

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 9.28.47 PM.png

Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

@Nailbag innovative as always mate. On the website, it says the panel is 21mm thick. My skirting is about 18-19mm thick. Do you recall how much depth the black foam took up?

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Yangaz sorry no I couldn't tell you, but I don't think the black material would be 19mm. The slates from memory easily are 25mm wide by 20mm deep then probably 155mm of foam. But just go into the store and measure it up. I reckon there is enough in it that though it might not sit flat again the skirt, it might not be noticeable if there was a slight kick out where the slates meet the skirt. I still prefer the panel meeting the floor. But if you're putting some form of furniture in front then go with stopping at the skirt as nobody will see the transition mate.

Check out the phot below. This is a similar design I did in a lounge room but using individual timber strips. There is no skiting on the bottom, I just have it a floating look. But this gives you an idea of how it would look sitting on skirting. Just go with your gut. Sometimes things can be overthought when nobody other than yourselves sees anything different. You can also see how I cut the GPO out and how that finishes up.

Nailbag

IMG_0040.png

Living Room 3.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects