Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install timber slat feature wall and shelf in guest room?

Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

How to install timber slat feature wall and shelf in guest room?

Hi, I am looking to install a feature timber panel in my guest room to help break up the white cold gyprock feeling. I came across this product, link below.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/prempanel-2700-x-600-x-21mm-oak-timber-acoustic-panel_p0455959

I am looking to cover the wall only 1.2m high (right above the GPO) x 3.2m long as a bed will be placed right behind the GPO in the sketch below. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

I am also looking to install a narrow shelf above the 1.2m timber panel wall where small paintings and like could be placed on top. Any suggestions for a 3.2m narrow shelf that will sit on top of the timber panel wall feature?

Yangaz_0-1725189438204.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install timber slat feature wall and shelf in guest room?

Hello @Yangaz 

Very nice drawing, it clearly explains what your plans are. To prevent ruining the panels effect, I propose moving the power point to another location, perhaps just above the shelf? If the power point is not often used, you also have the option of having the electrician just blanking it off. In regards to the shelf, I suggest looking at the SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Beech Laminated Panel. It can be cut lengthwise so that it can meet your 3.2meter length. Plus, it can be stained to a darker colour so that it blends in with your panel.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Yangaz 

Love the acoustic panels and sounds like it will be a nice area when you are finished.

A couple of questions to claify.

The acoustic panels wont be below the shelf?.

Do you want to have invisible supports for the narrow shelf or are brackets acceptable?

Did you know that the acoustic panels also come in square aizes? I saw them this weekend and they could be used either side of the bed if you wanted longer paneling on the wall. I actually cant find them on the Bunnings site :surprised: lol Tho was checking them out on the weekend :smile: Pays to wander through the Bunnings aisles!

For the narrow shelf idea, I am thinking of something with an edge to it. that way you can lean the pictures backwards or paintings. Much like a book display on a wall in a libary.  

140 x 19mm 2.4m DAR Pine Premium for the base (am after the width of timber, thicker would be better lookwise i think)

42 x 19mm 1.8m DAR Pine Premium - 1.8m for the "kickboard" at the front. Fastened to the edge of the shelf so you will see no joins.

Depending on brackets shelf brackets shows you a range of them. If you go the route of hidden brackets then the design I have suggested may need to be changed is all.

Dave

Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Dave-1 and @EricL 

I am now considering scrapping the shelf idea and keeping the feature wall minimalistic (I think the shelf will attract clutter instead). Is it possible to have the prem-panels cut in half i.e. 2700mm/2 = 1350mm at the Bunnings store on a super fine saw? refer to the pictures below. 

@Dave-1 The GPO is actually a light switch, so yes we can relocate it higher so it is out of the timber slat wall area. I assume cutting a small jig-saw piece to fit the light switch in the timber slats will be difficult. Also any recommendations on the LED strip light above the feature wall?

Yangaz_0-1725252823152.png

Yangaz_1-1725253046885.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Yangaz 

:smile: Think it was @EricL with the suggestion about the GPO. I dont think it would be hard to cut out a section tho just getting it accurate is the worry (yeah Ive tried doing my bookcase once before.... tried is the word lol

The LED Lighting, depending on the colour of the acoustic panels you could run the wire (a wire) coloured black down next to the timber slat to the floor.

Instead of no shelf how about an old school picture rail. That way you can hang anything easily as well as have a set up to professionaly hang the artwork? Picture Rail & Moulding Hooks 

Dave

Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Dave-1 yes great idea to have picture rail hooks installed.

Would Bunnings stores cut the Prem-panels in half? also any recommendations on the LED lights? good call out about the black wires to run down the timber flats.

Thanks again.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Yangaz 

Ive modified some Ikea LED strips for my garage project (Low voltage plus I am a sparky) However Jaycar has a large range as well. 

Ive used App controlled powerboards from Bunnings as well.

I am unsure about teh acoustic panels being cut by Bunnings as the timber strips are mounted on a material type back plane. If they do it wont be with a super fine saw blade. Bunnings do have trailers and also utes you can hire easily (I have been keeping an eye on the utes :smile: ) The ute is less then a deklivery fee but only for an hr or two I think.

One reason I suggested the smaller square size of the acoustic panels was then you could use multiple  of them, they are the same size width as the existing long panels that way you can make the upside down U that sits behind the bed (You dont have to have them to the floor if that makes sense)

Dave

Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Dave-1 

I can't see to find the square ones on the Bunnings website? do you have the link? if they are 300mm x 300mm that could work.

Sorry not sure what you mean bu the upside-down U?

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Yangaz , if you decide to go with a shelf, here is what I have done in my hallway for pictures, the pictures have been up for more than two years, so far no problem of them sliding off, however, a bit of blu tac at the base of the picture frame will keep it in place

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Yangaz 

I couldnt find the squares online tho I definently saw them in store @EricL maybe be able to help you out with the webpage otherwise Id take a wander in to your local Bunnings.

The upside down U, picture this.

Bedside table floor up then across the rear of your bed then down to the bedside table floor, A Big Upside down U :smile: Its effectivly a big bedhead.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects