Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install expandable curtain track?

SuzanH
Finding My Feet

How to install expandable curtain track?

I have a curtain rail I tried to install two months ago but gave up because the instructions were seriously confusion AND I don't know what to do with these centre brackets.  I think it's Windoware, plain old curtain track for opening curtains by hand.  The brackets are supposed to attach some how to the rail.  The curtains bring the rail down as at this state.  In the image the bracket isn't supporting the rail.  Am I supposed to do something with the silver piece?  Thanks for your help, it's been really stressful trying to work this out.  Not a handy person at all!  Thank you.

Centre Bracket x1.jpgCentre Bracket x2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install expandable curtain track?

Hello @SuzanH 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your curtain tracks.

In order to give us a better idea which curtain track you have; Would it be possible for you to provide a model number or a model name? We can then try and track down the assembly instructions and help you with your curtain tracks.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric

I will look through my receipts, packaging long gone.  FYI the instructions in the box did not help.  It took me ages to work out the central bracket (shown as one brack in the drawings), was actually two pieces that could be put along track.  I think it was Windoware, expandable to 2200 or 4000 mm.  I knew the window was over 2000 so went "large".

Thanks for helping so far.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SuzanH 

I've had a thorough search of the Windoware line and could not find the 2200 or 4000 extendable series. They both refer to a round rail instead of the standard ovel that you have. The good news is that the team at Windoware have given me a hint of how the silver clip works on the rail.

I've attached a photo below showing in which direction the clip is supposed to be facing. This clip comes with a screw to hold it in place. The general step is to push the silver slip as close as possible to the rail so that it does not pop out of the support bracket. 

If you still have the screw that came with the rail kit that's great. But if you no longer have it in your possession, I suggest removing the silver clip and bringing it to the store so that you can test screws that will fit the hole. I propose starting with the Zenith M5 x 20mm 316 Stainless Steel Round Head Bolt And Nut. You'll be able to tell straight away if you need to go bigger or smaller.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Your photo worked. Although having that in the actual instructions from the manufacturer would have helped too!  I have hung the curtains (yay) and have just left them and the track alone for a few moments to see if they can play nicely, or whether I'll be picking them up off the floor.  Thank you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SuzanH 

Please keep us informed about your curtain rail, if it causes you any more issues, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects