Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

SPP
Building a Reputation

How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

Hi, 

I want to rip off my old MDF walls and place brand new VJ Panels onto the timber frame. 

From the videos I have seen, the timber frame needs to have a set spacing.

Can someone here explain why the timber frame needs to have set spacing. What if the spacing I have is not as per VJ Panel manufacturer specification. What can I do in this regard? 

Regards
Sree 

SPP
Building a Reputation

Re: How to install VJ panels on a timber frame?

Thanks @JacobZ and @Dave 

What tool would you recommend for light sanding for the paint on the timber? 

I have an Ozito Orbital Sander, I had a bit of a go yesterday, the photo shows the outcome. Is this too much sanding or too little? WhatsApp Image 2024-06-02 at 09.09.52_ab1eb34c.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SPP,

An orbital sander is a perfect tool for this, but it may struggle to get into the tight corners. Some 120 Grit Timber Sandpaper and a bit of elbow grease will let you get into the corners just fine, but if you want to speed things up a bit, a detail sander could help you get into the tricky corners.

Since you have the tools and are obviously looking to get a great result, you might like to take the timber back to bare, such as in the bottom right of your image, but it is not necessary. If you can run your hand over the paint and there are no flaky pieces or obvious edges, then that amount of sanding should be fine as long as you apply an undercoat before painting.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

SPP
Building a Reputation

Thanks @JacobZ 

I am a bit confused here, if I want to put a new coat onto the frames (the wooden frames) I don't need to sand it back and reveal the wood, just a light sand with an undercoat would help. 

A naive question here, is an undercoat the same as a primer?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SPP,

My apologies for the confusion. 

Yes, an undercoat is a primer.It acts as a bonding agent to increase the adhesion between the surface and the paint.

Ensuring there is no loose paint before recoating is the most important thing to consider when preparing the surface to be painted. The best way to do this is to remove all of the existing paint, however this is not 100% necessary. 

If the existing paint is well adhered, there is no need to remove it all. 

The point of sanding is to remove any loose material and create a good surface for the primer and paint to adhere to. If loose paint is left in place, the new coat will be stuck to paint that has not stuck to the timber surface beneath. This means there will be a weakness in the new coat of paint. 

Removing all the existing paint is best practice in this situation, but if you are confident that all the loose paint has been removed, it is fine to paint over with only light sanding as preparation.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Jacob

SPP
Building a Reputation

Thanks @JacobZ 

OK that makes it a lot clearer then, the basic procedure (surface independent) is: 

1) Make sure that there is no flaking. 

2) If there is flaking, clean the surface and strip the paint. 

3) Add primer 

4) Paint 

In my situation, can I liberally apply paint stripper to the aluminum frame and wooden frame, wait till it all strips off and sand/scrape off. 

Then, I put paint tape over where I don't want  and apply a nice primer. The metal option should also work for the timber right? I should use a nice brush for this. 

Then, wait for stuff to dry before I apply the paint. How many coats is recommended (for both VJ Boards and the Window Section). 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SPP,

Perfect. That is the basic process that you should follow.

Yes, you can liberally apply paint stripper to both the aluminium and timber following the manufacturers instructions and wearing the relevant personal protective equipment.

Also yes, the Zinsser 3.78L White Extreme Adhesion Primer is suitable for use on both timber and aluminium and a quality brush will make this easier.

Once the primer is dry, apply 2-3 coats of paint, waiting for each coat to dry before applying the next.

Let me know if there's anything else and keep us updated, I can't wait to see your results.

Jacob

SPP
Building a Reputation

Hi @JacobZ@Dave-1 and @MitchellMc  

In those photos, the window area in general seems quite dirty, especially in the grooves and corners. 

How do I get rid of this? I was going to use a high pressure hose/air pressure device to just blow it all way. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @SPP 

Id say just use a dry brush and flick the dirt out, vaccum it and a wipe down with a damp cloth. High pressure just blows stuff everwhere and it will settle back somewhere again.

Dave

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SPP,

Similar to what @Dave-1 has said, I use a detailing brush very similar to Kincrome Parts Washer Brush to clean out window tracks, but any paint brush would be handy.

Using a vacuum cleaner, in conjunction with a brush, is a great way to get rid of the looser material. Agitate it with the brush while vacuuming, and you'll get some great results. 

Once the loose stuff is dealt with, hot soapy water with your brush will help get the rest of the more stubborn stuff. Agitate with the brush and wipe down with a cloth to remove the rest of the dirt.

Let me know how you go.

Jacob

SPP
Building a Reputation

Thanks @JacobZ , @Dave-1 and @MitchellMc  

How difficult is to install VJ sheets on ceilings, walls? 

I will also go for timber mouldings for architraves, skirting boards and cornices. 

Contractors are charging a fortune! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects