Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang 8kg mirror?

Fay2
Finding My Feet

How to hang 8kg mirror?

Screenshot_20240609_201628_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20240609_201940_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Hi all

I've never hung anything up myself except with command strips so I was wondering what size screws and wall plug would be needed to hang this mirror on the bracket it has? It's 7.76kg. 

please any help would be appreciated with what screws/plugs I need to buy :smile: 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang this type of mirror?

Hi @Fay2,

Thank you for your question about hanging a mirror and a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

You might like to check out How to hang just about anything as a place to start.

The best way to hang anything from a wall is always for it to be screwed to a stud, which can easily be located using a stud finder. If you need some guidance, check out How to use a stud finder for some great info on what to do.

If you are screwing to a stud, a good depth of embedment is important. As standard residential plasterboard is 10mm thick, and timber studs are usually 70mm or 90mm thick, I always advise a 60mm screw such as these Zenith 8 - 10 x 60mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws.

If a stud is not available, an anchor such as these Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchors will do the trick. They are rated up to 20kg so they are more than capable of holding this mirror. You would just need to leave the screw slightly proud of the plasterboard so the hook on the mirror can slip over it.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Fay2,

Just to follow up, another possibility that I forgot to mention is if you have a brick or concrete wall.

If this is the case, you should use a 50mm wall plug such as these Ramset 8 x 50mm Blue Wall Plugs Blue with the same 60mm screw mentioned above.

Leave the head of the screw 10mm proud of the wall to allow the mirror to slot over the top and still maintain good embedment in the anchor.

This should cover all bases, but if your situation is different, please let me know, I'm happy to offer more assistance if needed.

Jacob

Fay2
Finding My Feet

Thanks for the help and response! I'll follow your recommendations and give it a go 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No worries @Fay2,

If you need any further assistance, there's always someone here to help.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects