Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of mould in bedroom ceiling?

ventodimare
Building a Reputation

How to get rid of mould in bedroom ceiling?

1000023978.jpg

I have tried to fix the mold in the ceiling of my bedroom using the natural green goo. No improvements. The leaking pipes have been fixed but I still cannot get rid of the mold. Any suggestion? Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: mold ceiling in bedroom

Hi @ventodimare,

That's a natural product that should be effective at killing mould spores. It contains clove oil, which is one of my favourite items to kill mould with. However, it doesn't appear to be a cleaning agent, so it won't necessarily remove the staining on the ceiling. Since you've now killed the mould and resolved the leak, you can paint the ceiling. I've done plenty of mould cleaning in my time and I can tell you it will be far easier to paint that ceiling than try to remove the staining.  

I recommend adding Protite 75ml Mould Defender Paint Additive to your ceiling paint to prevent mould from returning.

Here's a helpful guide: How to paint a ceiling.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

G'day Mitchell! @MitchellMc 

Will that additive work with any paint?

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Yes, it will @Noyade.

I rent and have an incredible mould issue due to the home being an old weatherboard place with plenty of roof leaks and moisture in the walls. Four years back I painted the entire interior of the house, only to have a huge mould outbreak that following winter on all walls and ceilings. I was really disappointed since I put that much work in. I decided I'd had enough and washed all the walls and ceilings down with Flood 1L Mould Action Prewash to kill the spores and then painted all the walls and ceilings with a semi-gloss paint with Protite 75ml Mould Defender Paint Additive added to it. Typically, we use a low-sheen on walls and a flat on the ceiling. However, semi-gloss is far less porous than those, and it's harder for mould to take hold and it's much easier to clean. 

I'm pleased to say there are no signs of mould in the property a few years on.

Mitchell

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

This is what I did use on my bathroom and laundry. But with hindsight I could have used that additive on paint I already had...?

20240725_100754.jpg

EDIT. Just saw your post above just now.

"I'm pleased to say there are no signs of mould in the property a few years on."

Good to know! @MitchellMc 

You could have used that product in standard paint, but Dulux 4L Interior Paint Wash&Wear +PLUS Kitchen & Bathroom Low Sheen Vivid White is a great product. It's designed for areas of high humidity and has mould shield technology. Standard paint and the additive would only be resistant to mould.

Mitchell

Hello @MitchellMc 

I'll use floor mold 1lt to give it another pass. How many sqm does 1 lt cover?

On another site I found the following info: "5 to 20 square metres depending on porosity of the surface and the degree of contamination."

Not sure about porosity of my walls. They are double bricks walls painted.

Thank you as usual for helping us out!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ventodimare 

That estimate of coverage is just about right. If the ceiling material is porous, it will absorb the Flood Mould Action Prewash, but if the ceiling is not so porous you'll be able to get more coverage out of it. You'll find out as soon as you begin applying it to your ceiling. My best advice is to cover your floor and appliances with painters drop sheet to prevent them from getting damaged by the prewash and paint.  

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects