Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix uneven stain and varnish?

varunsankar
Just Starting Out

How to fix uneven stain and varnish?

IMG_3467.jpeg

IMG_3470.jpeg

IMG_3469.jpeg

IMG_3468.jpeg

IMG_3466.jpeg

IMG_3467.jpeg

    

Hi

I tried to use the 

Bondall Monocel 250ml Walnut Stain And Varnish on pine timber. But it looks dirty and uneven. This is my very first project. Can I get some help in why it’s like that and how to fix it please? Below are the details 

Sanding: 80, 120, 180, 220

Timber: Untreated pine https://www.bunnings.co.nz/40mm-x-18mm-x-1-2m-untreated-d4s-dressing-grade-pine_p0293985

Stain and Varnish: 

Bondall Monocel 250ml Walnut Stain And Varnish 

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/bondall-monocel-250ml-walnut-stain-and-varnish_p1580823

Attached images after second coat. The first coat was a mix with 15% turps 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix uneven stain and varnish?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @varunsankar. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about varnishing timber.

I'm sorry to hear that your first project hasn’t turned out as expected. From looking at the images, it seems the uneven and dirty appearance could be caused by a combination of factors. Pine can absorb stain at different rates, particularly untreated pine, which often leads to blotchiness. Softer areas of the wood soak up more stain, while harder areas absorb less, creating an uneven look. Additionally, applying the coats too thickly may have caused the stain and varnish to pool in certain areas, especially around the corners, resulting in darker patches. This is quite noticeable in the second image, where there’s visible build-up.

To fix this, I’d suggest sanding back the current finish, especially focusing on the darker areas. You don’t need to remove the finish completely; just smooth out the uneven patches. After sanding, reapply the stain and varnish in several thin coats rather than one or two thick ones. This should help achieve a more even and controlled finish. Take your time with each coat, allowing it to dry fully before adding the next one.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, lot of silly/obvious questions in my mind

What grit sanding do you recommend sanding it back

Do you recommend thinning the stain and varnish with turps?

Also, any recommendations on what kind of applicator is best for this please? I used a cheaper brush. Would it make any difference?

There are no silly questions here @varunsankar.

180-grit sandpaper should be enough to sand the varnish back. Just ensure the varnish is entirely cured, or it will gum up the sandpaper.

Thinning the product might actually make the situation worse. I would just ensure that you haven't oversaturated your brush before applying. Dip your brush in the varnish and wipe off the excess on the side of the can. A good indicator is that your brush shouldn't be dripping with product.

Using a slightly better-quality brush would make the job easier. I normally go for the Pro Renovator 50mm for jobs like this. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I will probably learn to apply it in a sample wood and update here.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects