Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish VJ panelling?

SaadMalik
Building a Reputation

How to finish VJ panelling?

IMG_1786.jpeg

Hello,

I am happy that I was able to install VJ panels and excited about how it will transform the place once completed. However there are some problems that need to be addressed first.

There are gaps on all 4 sides of the panels. At the top between the cornice and Panel the maximum is about 35mm and at the bottom between skirting and VJ panel the max is about 20mm. The left edge is not plump either and is out by 10mm. I am just thinking how to rectify this. The middle sheet is short by 7mm with the rest of the other sheets. The sheets were Precut and the gap is reflective of the variance in the finishing of the skirting and cornice. In hindsight, I probably should have removed the skirting but that’s a lesson learnt for the future anyways.

Here is what I am thinking:

- I have off cuts of the VJ panel so cut and place a small piece to make the top gap consistent throughout leaving 10mm for expansion all the way. 

- Not sure about the bottom or the side yet about what I will do but I saw a post here where some has placed No gaps filler to fill the same and shape. I wonder if that might be a good option.

I just want to know what is the best way to make it look good. 

Are there any edge Trms that I can use? How about something like below that I can place all around the perimeter? Will this be a good option ?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/porta-30-x-30mm-2-7m-external-corner-rounded-edging-primed-fj-pine_p0074...

inputs, feedbacks and suggestions will all be greatly appreciated.

Saad

SaadMalik
Building a Reputation

Re: How to finish VJ panelling?

Thanks gents @EricL and @Dave-1 - really appreciate your encouragement & kind words.

I used UNi-PRO 500g Smooth Coat Skim Filler - 500g - Bunnings Australia to smoothen the edges. I am assuming this would also work? I have sanded the existing paint edges and i can feel them. So i will use the smooth coat to build it up untill i can feel the edges.

Thanks,
Saad

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @SaadMalik 

Nailed it! Or should I say plastered it :smile:

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @SaadMalik can I recommend instead using this Poly product as it's more stable on deeper gaps and still very easy and forgiving to apply. It's also very easy to sand as required. It's my go-to filler for most projects.

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects