Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish VJ panelling?

SaadMalik
Building a Reputation

How to finish VJ panelling?

IMG_1786.jpeg

Hello,

I am happy that I was able to install VJ panels and excited about how it will transform the place once completed. However there are some problems that need to be addressed first.

There are gaps on all 4 sides of the panels. At the top between the cornice and Panel the maximum is about 35mm and at the bottom between skirting and VJ panel the max is about 20mm. The left edge is not plump either and is out by 10mm. I am just thinking how to rectify this. The middle sheet is short by 7mm with the rest of the other sheets. The sheets were Precut and the gap is reflective of the variance in the finishing of the skirting and cornice. In hindsight, I probably should have removed the skirting but that’s a lesson learnt for the future anyways.

Here is what I am thinking:

- I have off cuts of the VJ panel so cut and place a small piece to make the top gap consistent throughout leaving 10mm for expansion all the way. 

- Not sure about the bottom or the side yet about what I will do but I saw a post here where some has placed No gaps filler to fill the same and shape. I wonder if that might be a good option.

I just want to know what is the best way to make it look good. 

Are there any edge Trms that I can use? How about something like below that I can place all around the perimeter? Will this be a good option ?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/porta-30-x-30mm-2-7m-external-corner-rounded-edging-primed-fj-pine_p0074...

inputs, feedbacks and suggestions will all be greatly appreciated.

Saad

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to finish VJ panelling?

Hello @SaadMalik 

Thanks for sharing your question about your EasyVJ panelling. I believe your idea of filling in the gaps with the offcuts should be sufficient to normalize size of the gaps. But I think it's important that the cuts in the panel line up so that it looks nice and uniform. For the bottom part that is 7mm off, I can only suggest doing the same thing and that is to fill the gap with EasyVJ offcuts. Your goal of having a 10mm gap all around is ideal and using gap filler is the best way to disguise this. 

You could technically use timber moulding to cover these gaps, but they would give your wall a picture frame look. If this look does not bother you then it is something that you can explore.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @SaadMalik 

It's very difficult to install VJ and factor in the gaps to and walls that aren't square, especially for you first time. You could trim all sides with the thinnest trim 11mm thick x 31mm wide then use a white interior gap filler between the trim and walls. But as @EricL  also mentioned, this would result in a picture frame look, which you may like. and would at least give a consistent finish and look like it's mean to be.

Regards, Nailbag

SaadMalik
Building a Reputation

Thank you @EricL and @Nailbag. your input is much appreciated.

if I go with the off cut option to reduce the gap at the top and bottom, can I then use gap filler in the 10mm between the cornice and the VJ panel? I suppose what I am trying to ask is the gap filler flexible because VJ panel need 10mm for expansion?

In the bottom one of the sheets is only 5mm from the skirting. So my plan is to get the bottom as close as possible to the skirting and then gap fill and at the top make it 10mm all the way and then gap fill. Is this durable?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SaadMalik,

You could use a gap filler in that last 10mm. Ideally, you should install moulding over the area to cover it so the boards can freely expand and contract. I suspect gap-filling would be a durable solution.

Mitchell

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @SaadMalik When I've installed VJ panels internally, I have always either sat it on the floor or directly own to of the skirting. Then only ever allowed only a few mm for around the other 3 sides for ease of fitment and cleaner finish that required minimal gap seal. This is how they also installed by builder mates. You definitely don't need to allow any gap on the bottom and I would be reducing the gap sizes where feasible. So I would make up some of those larger gaps with your cut offs, which could be liquid nailed in place if too difficult to nail, then gap seal to finish.

the photos below is how my rear bedroom feature walls are finished.

Regards, Nailbag

IMG_8986.jpeg

IMG_8987.jpeg

IMG_8988.jpeg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @SaadMalik 

Sorry, missed this conversation yesterday 😕 @Nailbag has described very nicely how to "hide" or make minimal the gaps you are experincing. Walls are rarely square and generally "look rigt" is the easier way to go.

I would be going for minimal filling and if there is a gap I would be incorporating trim to cover it. (Corners or base) The top is something your eyes will always notice so Id make sure they are all constant sheets if possible.

Dave

SaadMalik
Building a Reputation

Hello All,

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

Instead of using the trim because i was not liking the look of it. I decided to go with using the offcut to even the top and the bottom. It turned out pretty good however cutting was a tedious process since i was only using a jig saw. The fill the gap between the top of existing panel and the bottom of the off cut i used wood filler to even out and then sand. Most of the places it is pretty flush but there are a few places where it is out by a couple of mill. I think it wont be noticeable if from a distance only when you look very closely will you see it. I ended up with about 4mm gap at the top and the bottom and i have caulked the gap. Should i under coat around the perimeter of the sheets because they have been roughened due to sanding? IMG_8554.jpgIMG_8567.jpgFill in the side of the board and the existing wallFill in the side of the board and the existing wallIMG_8573.jpgrotate photo anticlock wise. Paint peel off from the existing wallrotate photo anticlock wise. Paint peel off from the existing wall

Now for the sides where there was a gap of upto 17mm, I initially used plaster filler based on a suggestion from someone at the local bunnings. however the plaster filler started to crack due to shrinkage since i did not put in enough layers so i topped it up with woodfiller and then sanded. It came out very good and the edge i caulked so there is no gap. I am unsure how it is going to react since there is minimal gap on the ends for expansion. Hopefully the gap between the sheets suffice for lateral expansion. However i ran into one problem. I applied painters tape on the edges prior to putting in the fillers when removing the tape it has peeled off the paint from the existing. Can you tell me how to patch this up? i think i already have the paint.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @SaadMalik 

Its looking good! :smile:

Yes I would undercoat the edges, my attitude "it cant hurt" and can solve issues with marks or wear showing up.

For the paint that came off with the painters tape I would see if I can sand the edges smooth, if you can feel the edge then you will see it. So if that happens then a fine plaster repair such as UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler - 500g and then sand, refill the area if necassary and sand again before undrecoating and painting.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SaadMalik 

Let me just say that you've done an outstanding job with the gap filling, it looks fantastic! @Dave-1's advice is spot on, just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend wiping the surface clean with a microfibre cloth so that it is free of dust before you start painting.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects