Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend the height of an internal door?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

How to extend the height of an internal door?

I'm wanting to extend the height of a new hollow internal door. Distance and width below. When the photos were taken - it's just sitting on the floor with no clearance yet. I have an assortment of tools including a thicknesser - but I'm hoping not to have to use it.

Also - how to hang a door videos would be appreciated.  👍

Cheers!

20230824_133525.jpg

20230824_133603.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to extend the height of an internal door?

It's a wonderful product @EricL. Wish I'd known about it before. And beautiful to sand.

I'm using an Ozito detail sander - and loving it. Much, much better than a multi-tool with a sanding attachment.

Cheers.

20230906_132406.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

20230903_171153.jpg

Attached with Kreg screws.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Noyade_0-1694293992455.jpeg20230910_062714.jpg

I'm now thinking of making the SpecRite (right product name?) board a blackboard.

It has a sort of polished surface - it would need to be heavily sanded prior to painting?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade 

Was it this SpecRite 2400 x 1200mm 17mm Plywood Pine Film Faced Non Structural panel you were planning on using? If so, you would need to key the surface to allow the paint to bond. Adding a cross-hatched pattern with 120-grit sandpaper should be sufficient, or you could potentially use Dulux 1L PRECISION White Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer. However, they still advise dulling any sheen level with sandpaper before applying the primer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Afternoon Mitchell. @MitchellMc 

It's a structural Ecoply board with no stamping on it - which is the reason I picked it

Thanks for the above advice - but in the end I went and found at the local Tip Shop a large White-board which masks most of the ply.

20230910_164302.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I went to Bunnings early this morning to get some matching skirting - but only needed 1 metre.

It was MDF and 5.4 metres.

So I had a go at making a piece from leftover pine.

Angled cut...

20230910_095245.jpg

With a bit of routing...

20230910_111154.jpg

20230910_163957.jpg

Still got some painting to do yet.

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Beautiful work, mate! (@Noyade). So, can we expect all your terrific sketches to now be coming directly to us from the whiteboard? Or, will it purely be used for other more mundane tasks like the creation of shopping lists? I'm sure your other half would be elated for you to dedicate this space to your technical drawing contributions for the Bunnings Workshop community. You could make a real feature out of it, you know?

Well done, and many thanks for sharing the results with us.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Morning @MitchellMc 

Thanks Mitch.

I've already started the doodles. 😁

But I'm finishing off the painting this morning.  Door outside in its jig - ready for the final coat.

20230914_111747.jpg

The amateur profile I cut...

20230914_173814.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects