Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend the height of an internal door?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

How to extend the height of an internal door?

I'm wanting to extend the height of a new hollow internal door. Distance and width below. When the photos were taken - it's just sitting on the floor with no clearance yet. I have an assortment of tools including a thicknesser - but I'm hoping not to have to use it.

Also - how to hang a door videos would be appreciated.  👍

Cheers!

20230824_133525.jpg

20230824_133603.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to extend the height of an internal door?

Hi @Noyade 

I nominate the 70 x 35mm 0.9m Short Pine Run Of Mill to be attached to the bottom of the door. I would say that the bottom of the door is not as visually noticeable as the top of the door when being opened. 

This is the closest piece of timber I could find that meets the measurements that you need. It will still need to be trimmed, but you won't need to take too much off.

I suggest timber glue along with Zenith 10G x 75mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 14 Pack. I recommend Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler or similar to seal the joint. Please don't forget to drill pilot holes to prevent splitting the patch and door frame.

Here is a handy step by step guide: How to hang a door

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @EricL 

Much appreciated! I never thought of the bottom of the door. 🤔 Excellent idea.

Cheers!

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @EricL 

Thanks for the wood tip - the size worked a treat. I don't know why, but I had thoughts of having to wander around the wood section looking for dressed hardwood to fit.

I just ripped it to size and length. With a poor shoulder, I found it easier to space the bottom of the door and work upwards, so I will now need to instruct anyone who enters the house to keep their eyes to the floor. 😁

20230826_160843.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great work @Noyade! Thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell 

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I now need to make a 'fake' door jamb. I want all this to be removed at a later date - call it a temporary bedroom door/wall encasing an old living room area entrance.

If you took a cross-section of a typical internal door jamb - what would it look like?

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

There are a couple of different styles @Noyade. One's a solid rebated piece of timber and the other has a stop trim piece nailed on.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I'm gonna try making your profile seen on the left, but outta inexpensive pine. I don't expect a perfect finish to paint - but what filler do you recommend for the glued spaces and wood irregularities?

Cheers.

20230830_101734.jpg

A couple of doodles of how I'm filling in an opening with a 'fake' wall and door.

Hopefully to be taken down at a later date.

Scan1345.jpg

Fitting SpecRiteFitting SpecRite

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I'm gonna try this. Never seen a powder form before. I live a sheltered life.

20230830_130156.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade 

Just a friendly reminder not to add too much water. Keep us in the loop and tell us how it performs.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects