Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover the wardrobe extension?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

How to cover the wardrobe extension?

Hi

I set up pre built Ikea cupboards in the walk in wardrobe in my bedroom. 

It all fit in nice except that there is a bit of the back of the cupboard that's sticking out and showing on the entry frame when we look from outside the walk-in. How do I cover the wood piece showing you? Should I add another wood frame to extend the wall and paint it to camouflage it?

A photo is attached with both side show9ng the yellow back of the cupboard sticking out.

1000015978.jpg

Thanks!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to cover the wardrobe extension

Hi @AJ-DIYer,

Thank you for your question about concealing protruding cupboards.

The first thought I had was to simply paint the back of the wardrobes, so it was the same colour as the walls. This would be the least invasive, and easiest way I can see to conceal the cupboards.

If you'd like to go further, I'd suggest attaching some DAR Pine to the inside of the doorway using a combination of brad nails and Liquid Nails. Once installed, you would need to use No More Gaps to conceal the joins and nail holes before painting.

If you could advise how wide the door jambs are and how far from them the cupboards protrude, I would be happy to point you to a specific timber profile that will work for you.

You should also be aware that if you wanted to use this method, you would need to remove and replace the skirting boards as they would no longer be long enough to reach the door opening.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas, @Noyade, @TedBear, @DIYGnome.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects