Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build in cupboards under staircase?

minnieS
Just Starting Out

How to build in cupboards under staircase?

Hello!

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

I am wanting to install storage cupboards/drawers in the space under my stairs. It's an awkward space and I have never figured out how it should be best used, so usually it just has crap shoved under it. 

Ideally I would like at least 3 sections, the tallest being a 'broom cupboard' which can store the dyson stick vacuum (i will get a powerpoint installed in it also) and cleaning items on a shelf if there is space). Other cupboards will be used for...dunno, maybe linen cupboard items or kids toys/ shoes etc. 

Inspiration photo below, I love the look of doors/drawers with no handles. I also love the look of acoustic panels for door fronts, but it might be overkill with the existing wooden diagonal of the stairs

I think due to the depth I will have to build something from scratch and have it on runners, but would be open to altering a flatpack system (kaboodle?) if this will be substantially easier. 

Approximate dimensions are 

diagonal length - 2718mm

width- 2160mm

height- 1650mm

depth- 1000mm

The stairs have open risers, so I think I my first step (hahahahhaha) would be to add timber risers and then plasterboard underneath?

I would say I have an intermediate skill level and can figure out most things. I have ample tools etc, but am also willing to purchase extra tools as needed to ensure a high quality build (thinking I need a brad gun....)

Looking forward to hearing from the community! I did read another post from 2021 with a similar project, but there wasn't an outcome

CURRENT UNDER STAIRS

IMG_1700.jpg

INSPIRATION

understair-feature.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build in cupboards under staircase?

Hello @minnieS 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a cupboard under your stairs.

Thank you for providing the measurements under your steps. Please give me some time to draw up a framework for your cabinetry. As soon as it is ready, I will post my recommendations here.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects