Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to blockmount a print?

Di67
Just Starting Out

How to blockmount a print?

I have a semi gloss print which is 51cm x 76cm , i want to block mount it , whats the best way to do it 

Thankyou

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to Blockmount a print

Hi @Di67,

Many thanks for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

I'd suggest using a suitably sized MDF sheet such as this CUSTOMwood 9 x 900 x 600mm MDF which can be cut to size in store. Please note that there are a number of options for thickness if you'd like to go thicker or thinner than the one I have suggested.

You should then sand the sharp edges of the MDF using a Trojan 80 Grit Jumbo Sanding Sponge. This will allow the canvas to be stretched over the edges without the possibility of damage to the canvas.

You could then use Selleys 350g Kwik Grip Spray Contact Adhesive, following the manufacturer's instructions for use. Start by sticking the front of the print down, leaving some overhang so it can be stretched and glued to the sides and back of the MDF later.

Apply even pressure to the print while the adhesive dries. this can be done with any flat object such as a couple of heavy books.

Once the front face is glued, you can stretch the canvas over the edges and repeat the process to stick the overhang to the back of the board.  

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects