Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add extra ceiling insulation?

monkeybaby
Finding My Feet

How to add extra ceiling insulation?

Hi, looking for some advise.

Currently, my kids bedroom are quite hot during summer and I was thinking of adding additional insulation batts in the ceiling for their bedroom.

Just wondering if

1) it is safe to add additional batts on top of existing ones. Currently we already have R4 batts installed from the builder.

2) How much extras can we add?

3) Is there a specific brand/type I should use?

Looking to DIY assuming it's safe to do so.  I've been in the roof space in the past due to roof leaks so I'm comfortable doing so.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Ceiling Insulation

Thanks Mitchell.  All makes sense.  I only supplied the photo in case there is an issue with space between the ceiling and the roof/roof tiles because I've read somewhere that there should also be sufficient spacing between the two to allow ventilation and to avoid moisture build up which could cause mould to grow.

If this isn't a known issue, I will proceed as discussed and appreciate all the assistance given.

Re: Ceiling Insulation

That's more of an issue in flat roofs than pitched @monkeybaby. Looks like you have plenty of space there.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects