Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add castors to my old bed?

DorisPear3
Finding My Feet

How to add castors to my old bed?

As I mentioned, I am looking to add bed castors to my very old bed's legs. hopefully get me some extra storage space as well as ease of access.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bed castors to my old bed

Hi @DorisPear3,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

There's a massive variety of castors out there that will fit a variety of circumstances. 

I have a few questions that should help narrow down your choice:

• Are the bed posts made of timber?

• Do you want swivelling or fixed castors?

• How high do you want the bed to sit?

• How much weight will the castors need to support?

Alot of castors can be attached with screws through a mounting plate. If your bed is made of timber, this would be as simple as grabbing some 12G x 50mm Galvanised Hex Head Timber Screws, predrilling some holes and screwing the castors in place.

If you had timber bed posts, I'd suggest these Easyroll 75mm 90kg Blue Rubber Swivel Brake Castor might be a good choice.

Using 4 of these castors, 360kg can be supported, the bed can be wheeled in all direction, you'll have brakes to keep your bed in place and you can screw them into the bed posts using the above-mentioned method.

If your circumstances are different, please let me know, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Jacob

Hi @JacobZ,

Timber and I believe it's Oak and soo old I am told. I do love it. But I am hoping to free up some space under this bed, having moved in to 1 br unit. Plus, I am hoping that'll help push it around the room with some weight.
I love the 360 swivel idea, that just makes any weight doable to shift even the slightest.
You're simply fabulous, I have been playing with this idea for weeks, so I told my friends about it and they laughed at me. But I never gave up on it.
That's what made me break the topic to you my helpful guru's, although wasn't sure what feedback I'd get 🤔, but I have to say, I am stoked 😀 with your willingness to help and advices.

Thank you kindly. Cheers.

Doris P.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DorisPear3,

Thank you for your kind words.

Since your bed is made of old oak, it will be dry and extremely hard, so make sure you predrill some pilot holes before screwing the castors into place.

The friendly team at your local store's Tool Shop will surely help you pick a suitable drill bit based on the screws that you choose, but if you use the ones I've advised above, something like this Sutton Tools 4.5mm HSS Metric Viper Drill Bit will be perfect.

Let us know if you need any help along the way, there will always be people here to help.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects