Workshop
Ask a question

How do i repair render damage?

cgray
Just Starting Out

How do i repair render damage?

Hi,

I’m a beginner renovator and looking for help on how to repair several rendering patches in our downstairs living area that were damaged when we had the house underpinned.  Wanting to fix and prep to repaint these walls.  photos attached.

IMG_8123.jpeg

IMG_8125.jpeg

IMG_8126.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do i repair this rendering!

Hello @cgray 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your rendered wall.

I propose using a Craftright 5-in-1 Scraper and chipping away any damaged render that is loose or is about to fall. Once you've removed all of the render that's loose and falling, I suggest using Dunlop 20kg Multipurpose Acrylic Render or a small bag of mortar if you are only repairing a small section. Please make sure that the area is totally clean and free of loose debris. To protect your floor and other areas that will be exposed to render, I suggest covering it with builder's plastic in combination with masking tape. 

Looking at the photos you posted it appears that a form of texture paint was used to cover the rendered wall. Can you please tell us if these walls are inside or outside as the paint I'm suggesting can only be used for outdoors. If it is indoors, I suggest using a bristle brush to stipple the finish of the render to match your existing wall finish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to render

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
cgray
Just Starting Out

These are indoor walls.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @cgray,

Since this is inside, I recommend using Polyfilla 500g Exterior Brick and Render Masonry. It's suitable for exterior use but can be used inside, too. The benefit of this product is it dries with a render-like finish. Some additional texturing with an old toothbrush might be necessary.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects