Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Hamptons-inspired hallstand

Upcycler01
Having an Impact

Hamptons-inspired hallstand

I purchased this hallstand second hand and it was lovely beforehand but it did not suit my Hamptons inspired home. I used porter's Paint in Popcorn to transform it into a stunning Hamptons hallstand that has pride of place in my master bedroom.

hallstand 1.PNGhallstand 2.jpghallstand 3.jpg

Materials

Ryobi electric sander

Porter's Paint- Popcorn

Unipro paintbrushes and foam roller. 

Tools

Steps

Step 1

I sanded back the top to raw and primed the body and base of the piece with zinnser, I did 2 coats of primer to get good coverage on the piece. 

Step 2

I Painted the main body and base in Porter's Paint; popcorn, I used 3 coats of Porter's Paint. If the paint is too thick simply pop the paint brush in some water before putting it into the paint, this will help to thin the paint out. 

Step 3

The top part was whitewashed in a simple 50/50 ratio of Porter's paint to water. Mix in a jar. Apply the whitewash liberally and leave on the piece for a minute before wiping off with a dry chux or similar kitchen cloth. I wanted a more built up whitewash so I applied the whitewash 3 times, letting it dry in between each coat. 

Step 4

Final step was to varnish the whitewash. I used Bristish Paints water based varbish. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hamptons Inspired Hallstand

What a lovely upcycle @Upcycler01. You've really nailed it there and your hallstand looks terrific! It's amazing how much of a difference some elbow grease and a lick of paint can make.

Many thanks for sharing, and well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects