Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fold down standing desk

chenneberry
Just Starting Out

Fold down standing desk

I have a small space and only work from home one day per week. I wanted an ergonomic setup that could be put away for most of the week and came up with this solution. When not in use, it folds up completely and ties in with the green feature wall/wall panelling in the adjoining bedroom.

The frame is made from plywood, with iron-on edging for a clean finish. The green textured panelling is held on with hidden magnets glued underneath the iron on edging— this allowed me to create table top with the correct ergonomic depth. The frame stays square because of the metal brackets installed inside, which also serve as a structural element for attaching the desk to the brick wall. I added concealed hinges (no routing required) and desk struts to support the weight of my devices + leaning. 

IMG_4733.jpeg

IMG_4424.jpeg

IMG_4736.jpeg

Steps

Step 1

(I’m not a builder, so forgive incorrect descriptions/materials). 
1. Cut the frame with mitre edges. Note: measure your monitor and mount first to get the right depth. 

IMG_1267.jpeg

2. Assemble and glue the frame. Add pinhole nails for additional support. 

3. Route the back of the frame 5mm door the pegboard. Note: before attaching the pegboard, consider the power connection. My frame has a hole on the bottom piece large enough for a plug to go through. 

4. Take the frame to its future location and measure the ideal desk depth.

5. Cut the table top to size. Note: the easy option is to make the table top the same size as the frame. My frame was too tall for this to work. If you’re adding a design piece, now is the time. 

IMG_4054.jpeg

IMG_3953.jpeg

6. Attach the table top with hinges and desk struts. Then remove it. 

IMG_4279.jpeg

7. Set the pegboard into the frame so the piece sits flush to the wall when the pegboard is attached. Attach with glue and screws (ensuring screws do not break through the frame).  
8. Cut the angle bracket to size and drill screw holes to secure to the pegboard and frame. 

IMG_2254.jpeg

9. Iron on the edging for plywood and sand. 
10. Sand the entire piece and oil with desired finish colour. 
11. Mount to the wall, leveraging the angle bracket screw holes.  

12. Reattach the table top. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hidden Standing Desk (Fold Down)

Hello @chenneberry 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your hidden standing desk project.

This foldaway desk office is such a clever and stylish space-saver! The wooden frame around the workspace adds a warm, natural touch, and the built-in shelf keeps everything neatly contained. I love how it blends practicality with aesthetics, especially with the plants complementing the setup and adding a bit of life to the workspace. The foldaway feature also means you can easily transform the area when you're done working, perfect for maintaining a minimalist look.

Again, thank you for sharing such a fantastic project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects