Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Custom-made dining table

Codey
Growing in Experience

Custom-made dining table

I made this custom dining table out of reclaimed pallet timber and sleeper off cuts.

Materials

Pine Sleepers.

Garden posts.

Pallet timber.

Paint.

Plywood.

Tools

ozito drop saw.pngrouter.pngScreenshot 2024-07-07 091017.pngRyobe DrillRyobe DrillRyobe SanderRyobe Sanderthicknesser.png

Steps

Step 1

I first wanted to confirm the size of the table will be suitable for the area it was going. I stuck tape on the floor and put dinner plates down to make sure everyone sitting at the table had enough space. I based the rest of my measurements around this.

7.jpg

I then went and purchased the plywood which I would adhere the pallet timber to in a herringbone pattern.

The pallet timber would be cut to size and then individually run through the thicknesser to get consistency across all pieces.

6.jpg

Step 2

After adhering all the pallet pieces, I sanded it all down and stained.

2.jpg8.jpg

Step 3

Then I constructed and finished the seats in the same way as the table top.

20211026_120055.jpg

5.jpg

Step 4

The legs were made entirely from sleepers and fence posts that I had leftover from a retaining wall project. 

(Use proper PPE when working with these. Also make sure they are completely dry)

1.jpg

Step 5

After painting the legs, I put them in place before attaching the table top. It was too heavy and awkward for me to carry on my own.

3.jpg

And here's the finished product. Ready for the next family BBQ!

12.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Custom Made Dining Table

Hi @Codey,

Thank you for sharing this incredible pallet and sleeper upcycling project.

The craftsmanship and care put into this project is truly remarkable, you'd never think that it was made of leftovers and reclaimed timber.

The frame looks extremely sturdy and is a very unique design with its angled braces. I imagine it was tricky to get everything to line up and fit together nicely.

Looking at the herringbone tabletop and bench seats you would never know they were made of pallet wood. The thicknesser would surely have come in handy for this step of your project.

Congratulations on a magnificent project that you and your family will be able to enjoy for a very long time.

Jacob

Codey
Growing in Experience

Hi Jacob,

Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughtful feedback!

The angled braces were indeed a challenge, but it was a rewarding process to see everything come together.

Knowing that others see the value in upcycling and reclaiming materials makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks again!

Codey

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Beautiful @Codey. Thanks so much for sharing. We have loads of passionate upcyclers in the community so I'm sure your project is going to attract plenty of admirers, and inspire others to have a go themselves.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects