Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Coastal console upcycle

TaylerMayd
Having an Impact

Coastal console upcycle

I wanted to update this old console to create a fresh coastal feel. I'm really happy with how it turned out! A full video of the process is also available on my Instagram - taylermayd_

BeforeBeforeAfterAfter

Materials

Cabot's Stain and Varnish
Cabot's Cabothane Clear
Pine dowel (for handles)
Dulux paint (for paint wash)
Foam brushes
Sanding pads

Tools

AEG orbital sander
Ryobi wet and dry vacuum
Ryobi multi tool
Carbide scraper

Steps

Step 1

I started by removing the handles and all of the existing finish. I used a carbide scraper to remove the varnish, followed by an orbital sander to reveal the natural timber. I worked up from 120 to 400 grit sand paper to ensure a smooth finish.

I used my Ryobi multi tool as a detail sander for the hard to reach areas.image1.jpegimage2.jpeg

Step 2

Once the old finish was completely removed, I gave the sideboard a thorough clean and applied a light paint wash;

I then used a foam brush to apply one light coat of Cabot's stain and varnish, followed by two coats of just the clear; I sanded with a high grit sandpaper between coats to ensure a silky-smooth finish.

image3.jpegimage0.jpeg

Step 3

For the handles I cut some pine dowel to size using a mitre box, sealed the dowel with clear coat for durability and fastened to the drawer fronts with wood screws. And this is the final result!

image2.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Coastal console upcycle

Beautiful results, @TaylerMayd. I love the finish you've achieved, and it certainly matches your coastal brief.

You've done a wonderful job removing the previous coating; I know how much work that can be.

Many thanks for sharing, and great work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Coastal console upcycle

Thanks very much @MitchellMc  I appreciate it :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects