Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bookcases turned into built-in fireplace with hidden storage

stargirl5196
Finding My Feet

Bookcases turned into built-in fireplace with hidden storage

Fight the winter blues with a fun project that creates a very cozy space using 2 old bookcases. 

This project saw two yellowing and chipped 25yr old bookcases converted into a built in fireplace with hidden storage. The project was completed over several weekends and has provided a huge amount of storage while creating an absolutely stunning feature in a small space. 

Materials

MDF 12mm 2400mmx 1200mm boards*

Wood glue

Screws (wood Screws and steel screws to secure into house frame)

MDF 6mm 2400mmx1200mm boards

MDF Primed VJ lining panel

Trim and trim nails

Wood filler

3 in 1 Primer sealer undercoat 

Paint (I used British Paints, All Black in Aqua Enamel)

Fireplace insert (electric plug and play version)

hinges

Scrap wood to build toe kick

Painters tape, Sugar soap

*you could use a nicer type of timber here but given this unit will be painted and not exposed to water, I chose to use MDF.

Tools

Circular saw

Hammer

Drill (Standard Drill bit, Shovel, hole saw)

clamps

Wood Filler spackle tool

Sandpaper and sander

paint brush and roller

rags

Steps

Step 1

Measure the space available for the built in unit. Consult Fireplace insert manual for minimum clearances and measure bookcases. Using these details, make up a draft plan of the project to suit your space and needs. Box out a simple fireplace surround by cutting MDF pieces to size using circular saw (or bunning in store cutting service), and glueing then screwing edges together into a rectangle. Secure your fireplace inside and double check safety clearance according to fireplace manual. Screw a backing piece along the top inside edge of the box to provide a surface to secure the unit to the wall. 

Create 2 additional boxes the same way to fit either side of fireplace (add shelves if desired). Consider how your fireplace will reach a power point and use a hole saw attachment to drill access through units if needed. 

Build a short rectangle using scrap wood to place flat on the ground as toe kick area, then secure boxes on top. Secure boxes to the wall by screwing through the backing piece using screws that will suit your house framing. 

Cut bookcases to fit remaining space, line with VJ boards if desired, lift into position and secure to the wall. Cover your toe kick area and joins between the new unit/old bookcases with a nicer piece of MDF cut to size. image_67158529.JPG

Step 2

Measure and Cut doors to cover the opening in the bottom units (or which parts of your design you would like enclosed). Add trim pieces to suit your decorative needs if desired (here I secured 4 pieces into the shape of a basic rectangle frame using trim nails to give a slight Hamptons vibe to the unit). Test your doors fit nicely with small gaps on all sides (but secure them with hinges after painting). Cut trim pieces to cover space between units and walls. Wood fill all the nail holes visible and damaged areas of old bookcases. Caulk around edges if needed to cover any gaps.image_67167745.JPG

Step 3

After wood filler has dried, sand back to smooth. Sand old painted areas to ensure paint will stick well. Vacuum unit clean, then dust using a cloth. Finally wipe out old bookcases with diluted sugar soap to clean off any remaining grime so paint will adhere well. Mask off unit with masking tape to protect floors/walls/fireplace and then paint entire unit (old and new), with 3 in 1 primer, sealer, undercoat. Finally Apply 2 coats of your chosen paint (I used ALL BLACK in aqua enamel) using a brush to cut in and a roller for bigger areas. image_50381313.JPG

Step 4

Once paint has dried, mount the doors to unit using hinges and run the fireplace's power cord to the power point. At this stage I decided to add additional shelving above the fireplace by screwing rectangles of MDF into the bookcases either side. I then enclosed this area with doors made from several rectangular pieces of 6mm MDF (on which I repeated the decorative Hamptons styled trim), to provide additional hidden storageimage_50410241.JPG

Step 5

Flick on the power, and enjoy your new cozy winter wonderland!image_50413057.JPG

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bookcases turned into built-in fireplace with hidden storage

Hi @stargirl5196,

Thank you for sharing this fantastic project and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is wonderful to have you with us.

You've done a magnificent job of turning some old bookcases into a functional and stylish custom feature wall.

I imagine you're getting a great deal of use out of the fireplace at the moment with the cold temperatures we are having of late.

Congratulations on a spectacular project.

Jacob

Jaza96
Just Starting Out

Woooooah!! That's awesome, definitely one of the best projects I've seen this month. I've got some old shelves that could definitely do with a revamp and this project is giving some good ideas.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jaza96,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It's great to hear you you're a fan of @stargirl5196's wonderful bookcase upcycling project.

You might like to have a look at some other bookcase upcycling projects for further inspiration:

If you wanted some help with your future project, please don't hesitate to make your own post so our friendly community can help out wherever you might need it.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects