Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedhead using scrap timber blinds

tisha
Getting Established

Bedhead using scrap timber blinds

I had replaced the blinds in my son’s bedroom and was looking for a use for the old blind. He didn’t have a bed head so I set to work. The aim was to create a finished project using only what I had on hand, using up items I had leftover from previous projects.

Materials

Old timber blind. Scrap wood and off cuts I had on hand. I used leftover screws and nails and paint I had from previous projects.

Tools

Drop saw, drill, hammer, sander

Steps

Step 1

I started by creating a base frame the width of the bed, using left over timber and marine ply off cuts screwed together. I wish I had taken step by step photos. I then cut the timber slats from the blind to length and attached with nails. In the beginning I had planned top shelf, but when I assembled it, it looked to feminine for a teenage boys room, so I ditched that idea for something simple. I painted the slats black and attached a simple timber top which I waxed. I screwed the whole thing to existing wooden bed base.

IMG_1639.jpeg

Step 2

IMG_1158.jpeg

Step 3

IMG_1179.jpeg

IMG_1173.jpeg

IMG_1176.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: scrap blind bedhead

Hi @tisha,

Thank you for sharing your project and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

I always enjoy a good upcycling project and this one is fantastic.

Using the old timber blinds as a VJ style headboard is a stroke of genius.

I love the colours you've used and am a big fan of the exposed timber top. I did however notice quite a distinct change in the timber top between step 2 and the finished product. Was there a reason for this change of heart?

Regardless, the finished product is fantastic, congratulations on a wonderful project.

Jacob

tisha
Getting Established

Hi Jacob, thanks for commenting on my upcycle. I wish I had taken more photos of the process, but I got too busy with it and forgot!

I made the bedhead for my teenage sons room and changed the top as the first one a made looked to feminine after I tried it :smile:

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tisha,

I completely understand, I always get in the zone and forget to take photos. At the end of my projects, I always look back and wish I'd documented more. Ah well, you live, and you learn. Maybe we'll remember for the next one.

That's some understandable reasoning for the change. Either way, it is a fantastic project that you should be extremely proud of.

Once again, thank you for sharing.

Jacob

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @tisha @I love hearing people are re using materials for other projects, what a good use of the timber blinds as slatted timber uprights, well done, great job.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects