Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Art Deco dresser restoration

LindaN
Finding My Feet

Art Deco dresser restoration

Originally purchased from JA Booth and Co Furniture Store in Newcastle.

The mirror was in good condition. Cleaned the mirror claws and 

The handles could not be removed without damage so individually cleaned and polished these the best I could prior to taping them for protection. Replaced the base of one of the drawers as rotten.

Lightly sanded and cleaned the dresser.

I wanted a smooth finish so used a spray gun (for the first time) using a black art paint for furniture. Once painted, I then applied a protective satin clear varnish. 

Marketplace_ArtDeco.jpg 

Materials

Bucket

Chux wipe and warm soapy water

Marine Plywood 4mm for draw base

Vernazza design leftover wallpaper for inside draw base

New brass screws to replace broken originals on mirror claws

Scotch Blue Masking tape

Brasso for handles

Brush n Leaf Interior gold leaf liquid metalic paint for mirror claws

180grit sandpaper and cork block

Folkart One Decor Paint Classic black

Leni Boyle Clear Satin Varnish

Tools

Screw driver

Steel ruler

Stanley knife

Soft Paint brush

Art brush for mirror claws an corner brackets

Spray gun

Protective plastic sheet for paint overspray

Steps

Step 1

1. Cleaning.

Wipe it down using warm soapy water to access damage marks as well as clean the glass mirror and the old claws and corner brackets. Removed the mirror and unscrewed the claws and corner brackets as tainted. The draw handles could not be removed without major damage.

Tried to then oak the old claws and corner brackets in a solution of vinegar with warm water, again with lemon with warm water. Although clean some of the taint remained so decided to paint them instead as did not want to replace them.

Step 2

2. Replace bottom draw.

One of the draws had a damage base so the was measured, cut to size and replaced with plywood, 4mm so it could slide back into the original grooves of the sides of the draw

Step 3

3. Finish the handles, claws and corner brackets

Once these were clean and dried, I applied gold paint to the claws and brackets and allow them to dry until ready to install.

The handles could not be removed as it appeared to be nailed in with very fine nails. These where polished with Brasso, then masked with tape to protect them from sanding and painting.

IMG_5516.jpeg

Step 4

4. Sanding

I used a180 grit sanding sheet and a cork block and rolled pieces  to sand back the scratches and the old paint throughout the dresser. Also to ensure any dry splittering areas where also smoothed back. This included the mirror frame.

Once sanded, this was dusted then wiped over with warm water and left to dry prior to painting IMG_5117.jpegIMG_5119.jpeg

Step 5

5. Painting

Using an compressor spray gun, I watered down the paint and tested the consistency so it was not too thick or watery where it could run. I applied one light coat and allowed it to dry, then applied another. This was repeated, so three light coats where applied to build up the application without the paint running.

IMG_5515.jpeg

Step 6

6. Varnish

I used a soft brush to apply the varnish using a thin application (to avoid brush marks) and repeated the application once dried. 

Once dried the masking tape was removed from the handles of each draw.IMG_5517.jpeg

Step 7

7. Inside Draw

I decided to wallpaper the inside bottom of all the draws with some lovely leftover wallpaper I had which suited the black design.

IMG_5514.jpeg

Step 8

8. Completing the Dresser

The mirror was put back together with the freshly painted gold claws etc. The movable hinges were also placed back onto the mirror supports which enable the mirror to be tilted.

IMG_5508.jpeg

IMG_5236 2.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Restore Art Deco Dresser

Hi @LindaN,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Thank you for sharing this fantastic dresser upcycling project.

What a wonderful restoration you've done. The black paint has given the old dresser a fantastic new look and the gold hardware really compliments the paint well.

The hidden gem for me is that wallpaper inside the drawers. Did you take some inspiration from it before choosing the style for the dresser? I ask because it just works so well with the colour scheme.

Congratulations on a fantastic job that I hope you are extremely proud of.

Jacob

Re: Restore Art Deco Dresser

No , the wallpaper was an after thought. I wanted to match the Art Deco dresser with the modern furniture in the bedroom which was dark. The wallpaper I had left over from our (my husband and I) house build in our powder room. I do love some aspects of Art Deco and thought this wallpaper complimented the dresser:)

image.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects