Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

70's brick fireplace with floating hearth makeover

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

70's brick fireplace with floating hearth makeover

We bought this old 70's coastal house with the challenge to turn it in to something very modern, fresh and open plan. Since the living room is one space we spend a lot of time in, then that was one of the first projects. But because of the extent of what was required, it was done in stages as some changes impacted neighbouring spaces. I started with an idea in my head which I probably saw on the internet and for me thats where the plans remain and get worked on during sleepless nights thinking on how to best handle what was needed with each step. Often my designs are moving target as I come up with new ideas along the way.

So, here is how this one went . . . 

Materials

90mm x 45mm Pine

Tile underlay sheets

Tile sheeting nails

19mm structural steel tubing

Heavy Duty liquid Nails Landscaping Adhesive

75mm and 100mm Batten screws

Wall/Floor tiles

Extra strength wall tile adhesive
Flat head concrete nails
Disposable heavy duty painters drop sheets

Canvas painters drop sheet

Masking tape

Tools

Heavy duty hammer drill

SDS Pneumatic hammer drill

SDS Chisels

Mitre saw

Angle grinder

Impact Driver

Diamond wheel

Metal cutting discs

Workshop vacuum with extra filter sock and bags

1200mm & 2400mm levels

Masonry chisel

Mash hammer

Sledge hammer

Claw hammer

Tape measure

Ink markers

Pencil

PPE: Hearing, eyes, face, gloves, breathing and steel capped boots

Steps

Step 1

Tape up and seal the demolition work area top and bottom with drop sheets.

IMG_9266.jpeg

IMG_9269.jpeg

Step 2

Remove the bricks from the original solid hearth  Using the SDS hammer drill on stop rotation mode as well as hand chisels and a sledge hammer. The cross-strike pointed end of the Kango one is excellent in efficiency and reduced the vibration through my body compared to the standard flat faced ones. Full body PPE is a must during this process.

I then spent another day just in the cleanup

IMG_9274.jpegIMG_9278.jpeg

Step 3

I used a combination of concrete nails and the heavy duty masonry adhesive to fix tile underlay to the brick wall taking the opportunity to change the shape of the both the fireplace and log store space to a more modern rectangular look.

IMG_9297.jpeg

Step 4

The hearth frame was made by packed together several layers of 90 x 45 pine with both liquid nails and bugle screws using the impact driver. 

I used blocks to hold the hearth frame in place while I drilled 20mm holes through, scoring the bricks behind. This marked the spot for the 20mm masonry holes.

Using the landscaping adhesive in both the holes and on the rear of the frame, it was held back into position. 

I then drove in the 19mm steep tubing which was cut to 440mm lengths with the angle grinder.

The frame was then covered in tile underlay fixed with the cement sheet nails and left for several days for the adhesives to fully cure.

IMG_9331.jpegIMG_9336.jpeg

Step 5

I then started with the wall tiles fixed with a heavy duty adhesive. I also had to use the SDS hammer drill in chisel mode to square of some of the insides of the fireplace internals ready for the steel plate inserts and the new custom facia with ash drawer that a very clever metal engineer mate of mine made up. 

IMG_9404.jpegIMG_9200.jpeg

Step 6

With stage 1 completed, it was time for stage II, which was to demolish the angled left hand wall and build a new straight one.

The space behind was originally the main entrance but at the back of the house. Any wonder I could never find my deliveries 😫. The new main "Front" entrance was another project yet to share.

The old entrance became a WIR for the bedroom that never had any storage, so two issues were resolved.

IMG_1219.jpegea76e21e-97b7-468a-8d3e-f6d231078da8.jpeg

Step 7

Here's where my designs on the fly come in to effect, because now I thought the wall was going to need some bling. So, I decided to extend the floating hearth, which would have been a lot easier if I hadn't completed that end of the tiling!

IMG_7186.jpeg

Step 8

After painted the wall black, I used 38mm x 19mm pine to make a decorative feature wall. But this was before Bunnings brought out this product which would have been far cheaper and a job done in about 1hr! Pre-made acoustic panelling in 3 finishes, how good is that? 

Now I'm looking for projects where I can use it. Check out my project "Alfresco Feature Ceiling Panelling".

I love feature lighting so I took the opportunity to install LED strip lighting that was disable under the hearth which you can see on in the 2nd photo.

2719470c-77be-474d-a7c4-177172d1fa8b.jpegIMG_0040.jpeg

Step 9

There is some fast forwarding this photo as the floor has been done, but this was well after other walls in the living room were reconfigured and windows and doors changed over. Yep another project! 

Longeroom_3.jpeg

Regards, Nailbag
JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 70's Brick Fireplace with Floating Hearth Makeover

Hi @Nailbag,

Wow, that looks absolutely marvellous.

From the flooring to the choice of tiles, the lighting and the vertical battens, you've done a magnificent job of everything. I can't say I didn't expect this level of craftsmanship from one of our resident D.I.Y. gurus.

The on-the-fly decision to add the floating hearth was definitely worth the trouble. It's given the fireplace that little bit extra that really puts the cherry on top.

What a wonderful place you've created to spend those cold winter nights by the fire.

Congratulations on a fantastic project, I'm very excited to see the next one.

Jacob

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Re: 70's Brick Fireplace with Floating Hearth Makeover

Thank you very much for the kind words @JacobZ they are very much appreciated. Plenty more to share coming mate 

regards, Nailbag

Regards, Nailbag
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: 70's brick fireplace with floating hearth makeover

Afternoon @Nailbag 

Outstanding, thought it was a display home :smile: The effort you have put into the job is imense! Like you I love those vertical slats and have them on my list of "ideas" and like you I have seen the acostic panels at Bunnings :laugh: Tho I still think Id do the full timber version if I could afford it.

Worth every hour of your time! Cant wait to see your other projects!

And love the under the floating bench lighting :smile:

Dave

Nailbag
Becoming a Leader

Re: 70's brick fireplace with floating hearth makeover

Much appreciated @Dave-1 🤜🤛

Regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects