Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What food safe filler and glue for a chopping board?

Pauly77
Just Starting Out

What food safe filler and glue for a chopping board?

Hi, just about to make a chopping board out of some old Jarrah from  our old house, is their a food safe woodfiller and what would be the best glue for it aswel

Thankyou

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What food safe filler and glue for a chopping board?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pauly77. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a chopping board.

You can use Earl's 600g Merbau MulTfill Ready To Use Filler to fill any gaps in your timber, or you can mix PVA glue with the sanded timber dust to make your own filler. Selleys 250mL Aquadhere PVA Wood Glue Exterior Adhesive is a suitable glue for your project.

Gilly's 250ml Chopping Board Oil would be a good option for sealing your board once complete.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to make a chopping board.

Let me mention a couple of our knowledgeable woodworking members, @r23on and @JoeAzza for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @ @Pauly77 , i have made chopping boards I use a food Sargent and waterproof glue, Titebond 111, 

and for filler, use a mixture of glue and sanding dust

for finish , I use grapeseed oil.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi there are a number of issued with chopping boards you need to be aware of and the main factor is food safe products and water proof glues +food safe.

The main glue I use is titebond III as it meets all my needs for general wood working and chopping boards. Note not all glues are food safe.

Chopping boards need to cleaned regularly and recoated with a food safe mineral oil only. As for wood filler it is not advised to use any wood filler as over time microscopic cracks occurs leaving it open to food contamination, of course if the board is an end grain board that’s a different story.

There are a number of forums that discuss the cons of using any wood filler.

Here is a link for the titebond III https://www.timbecon.com.au/titebond-iii-ultimate-waterproof-glue-pva-yellow-aliphatic-resin  also total tools and sydney tools sell it as well.

Most important do not use cooling oil or olive oil to seal your board as these oils will go rancid over time.

if a product does not have food safe on it do not use it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects