Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestion for getting rid of wet food scraps

Laurens
Having an Impact

Suggestion for getting rid of wet food scraps

Since plastic bags have been withdrawn and because we don't yet have a bin for recycled food scraps, the problem for us here has been how do we get rid of soggy food scraps..

We already use 'Puppy Pads" for our Chihuahua and as the pads hold liquid very well it was decided that the puppy pads would be perfect for disposing of wet food.

The photo might have looked better if it was baked beans, but the food that was available to be disposed of, was 2 day old cooked Egg Plant.

Food Scraps.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Suggestion for getting rid of wet food scraps

Thanks for sharing @Laurens.

You should give your council a nudge. Many now allow food scraps to be included in your green waste collection and provide a small FOGO bin for the kitchen.

Obviously a worm farm or compost bin of your own is another great option.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Laurens
Having an Impact

We live on the Gold Coast in a gated community.  Prior to that, we were in Victoria where FOGO bins were part of the recycling system, along with the weekly pickup scrap bin.

We still use a FOGO bin in the kitchen, but we have to pack the seriously wet stuff up, so it can go in a bin..

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Early Morning @Laurens 

I was thinking surely a council should have something in place and went for a look 😕 Sad to say your council dosnt have anything in place at the moment and suggests composting

https://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/ Recyle right and they list compsosting as an alternative. 

Living in a gated community you could push the body corporate to put something in place compost wise to disposal of the food waste in your immediate community? Even if they supplied 3 or 4 compost bins (depending on how big the catachment area is) and a location to have them sit. That would mitigate throwing it into general waste tho you guys would have to turn the waste over every week or so. Then use the completed compost / bin for your gardens.

Dave

There is a longer story attached to this. I'll keep it short though.

We moved in here 4 years ago, fresh from Victoria where recycling was the go. In Victoria, we buried a food recycling/worm farm bin in the yard.

When we arrived here I purchased a new bin ($300) and was ready to do the same, but I came up against a dottery and difficult committee.

I looked into the committee's actions and found gross mismanagement, so my focus changed to getting rid of them. It took me about 8 months and they were voted out.

During that very stressful time I gave the bin away.

I may now go back to my original plan, however, there are strict rules about what one can do in a gated community and I am not willing to throw myself into another long drawn out battle where my focus shifts from retirement to winning a battle.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects