Workshop
Ask a question

Do I need to install a kitchen rangehood?

rebelliouskiwi
Just Starting Out

Do I need to install a kitchen rangehood?

I've just bought a house and it doesn't have a rangehood, only this exhaust fan that looks like it should be in a bathroom instead of the kitchen. Is this adequate for a gas stove/oven? Or should I be replacing it ASAP?

1000006453.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen range hood or lack of!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rebelliouskiwi. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about rangehoods.

Exhaust fans like the one you have were commonly used in kitchens before rangehoods became the standard. I actually have the same type of fan in my property, and while it does help with ventilation, it doesn’t provide the same concentrated extraction as a rangehood placed directly above the stove. The fan will work better than having no extraction at all, but you may still notice some grease and odours lingering in the kitchen.

If you want to avoid a buildup of grease on your surfaces and improve overall air quality, it would definitely be worth considering installing a rangehood. Rangehoods are designed to capture more smoke, steam, and grease particles directly from your cooking area, keeping the kitchen much cleaner. If you're cooking with gas, having a rangehood can also be a safety advantage by ensuring better airflow and removing any excess heat or fumes.

We have an appliance installation service, but it's reserved for the replacement of an existing rangehood. However, you might still like to enquire with the team at your local stores Special Orders desk to see whether an additional payment can be made at the time of installation to cover the new unit install.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects