Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain a Bamboo benchtop?

Morgan18
Just Starting Out

How to stain a Bamboo benchtop?

Hi there. New to the workshop and was wondering if anyone can answer this for me as the staff in Bunnings this evening were not too sure. We would like to purchase the Bamboo benchtop for a newly renovated kitchen but it’s not quite the colour I would like, I’m after something darker to match my furniture, is it possible to stain these benchtops and if so what would be the best stain to use? I’m guessing once it has been stained I will still need to seal it to protect it? Many thanks. 👍🏼

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Staining Bamboo Benchtop??

Hello @Morgan18 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about staining your bamboo benchtop.

Yes, it is possible to stain the Kaboodle bamboo benchtop, however, I suggest testing it first on an offcut of the benchtop. The benchtop comes in a raw finish allowing you to put on your own preferred stain and varnish.

Because bamboo is a natural product, it is difficult to predict the how the stain will look like on its surface. I recommend bringing your offcut to the store and asking a helpful paint team member if you can test a few of the stain and varnish products on its surface. Once you've decided on a colour, you can then begin preparing the surface of the bamboo for staining.

The general steps to painting a bamboo surface is to sand it first, then clean it off with a clean rag. Cover the floor with drop sheets to prevent stains damaging your floor. Make sure that it is in a location where its safe from the wind and rain.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the steps used are applicable to your project)

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Morgan18
Just Starting Out

Re: Staining Bamboo Benchtop??

Thank you so much that’s super advice and really helpful. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects