Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair laminate shelving?

Tiest49
Just Starting Out

How to repair laminate shelving?

Hi my name is Harry,

My walk in pantry shelfs are chip board and look worst for wear after 35 years, lately I have covered the shelfs with some sticky liner materials but it won't stick very good and come loose in some spots.

Any advice on how I can rejuvenate the shelfs would be appreciated.IMG_8216.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laminating or not?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Tiest49. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about rejuvenating laminate.

You could consider painting your shelving with laminate paint to restore the finish. If there are any large chips in the laminate, you'll need to fill them first and sand the areas smooth before coating.

I'm not sure what sticky liner material you're using, but white self-adhesive film can be quite effective at wrapping shelving. If the shelving is cleaned down well before you adhere the film, it will stick very well.

Another option would be touch up the white shelving with paint and then cut new timber shelving to sit on top of it. Or, you could remove the shelving and install new shelves entirely. This would be my preference and I believe you could achieve a lovely results using the laminated wooden panels.

I'm keen to hear more about where the majority of the damage is. If this damage is localised to the front edges, then perhaps some thin trimming on the shelf's front face would obscure it.

Let me mention a few of our talented members that have completed pantry makes overs, @Acewoodhome, @Renowayoflife, @xxsimonexx and @brookoli_, to see if they have some thoughts.

Please let me know if you have some questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects