Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate our kitchen using Kaboodle cabinetry?

martyjames
Building a Reputation

How to renovate our kitchen using Kaboodle cabinetry?

Hi Guys

I am wanting to replace my old tired kitchen or possibly just relace the doors and benchtop Please see attached dimensions and photos (dimensions included)

I want basically the exact same layout but want the overhead cupboards extended to the right for more storage

Questions

- any ideas on where to put the microwave?

-Should i have some sort of cupboard around the fridge?

- There is not a lot of cupboard storage for food so more needed definitely

Do Kaboodle do replacement doors if i go down that path? I am pretty sure my doors would be non standard size as it was an old custom made kitchen

- what would be approximate cost to replace the kitchen with Kaboodle?

I am reasonably handy so can istall myself. My preference is to leave the tiles - is that possible?

- Any thoughts or ideas appreciated

Thanks in advance

IMG_20240817_115304823_HDR.jpgIMG_20240817_115254818_HDR.jpgIMG_20240817_115258569_HDR.jpgIMG_20240817_115247464_HDR.jpgIMG_20240817_115440578.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Budget Kitchen Project - Kaboodle

Hi @martyjames,

It's brilliant to see you're rolling into the next project. I'm very excited to see this one come to life.

I'd suggest a good place to start is to have a read through How To Design A Kitchen for a step-by-step guide on how to plan your kitchen renovation.

You should also check out the Kitchen Planner from Kaboodle. It is a great place to have a play with different designs and ideas so you can see them in three dimensions and really visualise the space.

You could also book a Kitchen Design Consult through your local stores Special Orders desk, where our helpful team can help with designing, planning and installation of your new kitchen if required.

My suggestion, is to add a wall hung microwave box over the microwaves current position, remove and replace the cabinet next to the fridge with a corner cabinet, move the fridge against this new corner cabinet and add a pantry to the right of the fridge's current location. This would, with a few simple inclusions add a surprising amount of storage and open up additional bench space where the microwave used to sit.

Kaboodle can make custom sized doors, but it is likely that you would need to have an in-home measure and quote done in order to facilitate this. You can speak to the team at your local stores Special Orders desk for assistance with this.

Whether you are able to leave the tiles in place would be dependent on what wall hung cabinets you plan to install. If the bottom of the cabinets was to hit the tiles, some adjustments could likely be made to allow them to sit flush on the wall while slightly overhanging the tile.

Allow me to tag some of our wonderful members to see if they have any ideas to add to the discussion, @Nailbag, @Herrenovacation, @Noyade, @RenoRach.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can assist with.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @martyjames an exciting next stage.

I agree 100% with @JacobZ and get one of the Bunnings design team members in. For around $100 they will go through your ideas and provide some excellent additional ones you might not have thought of like a pullout dual rubbish bin cabinet for example. And if you go ahead the $100 comes off the cost of the materials.

And as @JacobZ mentioned they can also door custom replacement door sizes. Looking at your design, there appears to be little if any difference to the current one, so this is a good opportunity to maximise the space. I would consider at the right hand end of the far wall a tall party cupboard then extend the overheard cupboards to meet that. Possible incorporate a microwave hutch in that.

Alternatively, still extend the over cupboards to the end but then return the bench around towards the fridge and put the pantry cupboard next to that with the microwave hutch above it. With the return bench have a corner cupboard both underneath and another overhead to maximise wall realestate.

Just a tip when looking at the final design plans on the computer drawings, just look out for fillers in between any cabinetry that isn't on an end. I've installed many Kaboodle systems now and had to overcome the computer design system placing multiple fillers in between cabinets to make up the shortfall in the total length of the space less the cabinets. Besides being an eye-sore even an experienced DIY'r would struggle to make some of these odd and sometimes very small (5mm) dimensions including me. If you look at any professional installed cabinetry system, fillers only go on ends where they are not noticeable, and thats where yours should be.

Enjoy the process and when you're ready to start putting it all together, get back to us and we can p[rovide lots of additional tips and advice.

Regards, Nailbag

martyjames
Building a Reputation

Many thanks guys - i'll go with the $100 inhouse design consultation!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects