Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint timber kitchen cupboards?

shellz
Just Starting Out

How to paint timber kitchen cupboards?

What type of paint can i use to paint old wooden painted cupboards

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: kitchen cupboards

Hi @shellz,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Do you have any photos you can share? Let me know if you need a hand with uploading photos, I'm happy to help if required.

It depends on what they were painted with previously. The approach will change depending on whether it is oil or water-based paint. 

You can use the rubbing alcohol test to help determine this. Dampen a cotton ball with isopropyl alcohol and rub a discrete location. If it softens or comes off easily, it is water-based paint. If it is unaffected, it is oil-based paint.

If they were painted with an oil-based paint, then an oil-based paint such as Taubmans Oil Based Semi Gloss Enamel would be a good option. If the existing paint isn't in great condition, you may need to lightly sand it and then prime it with an oil-based primer such as Dulux White Prepcoat 1Step Oil Based Primer Sealer And Undercoat before painting.

If they were painted with water-based paint, then this Taubmans Semi Gloss Water Based Enamel is a good option. The same applies to water-based paint, if the existing paint isn't in great condition, sand and coat with a water-based primer such as Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat before painting.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects