Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to join food saucepan lid and handle?

Makita
Growing in Experience

How to join food saucepan lid and handle?

lb2.jpglb1.jpg

How to join a saucepan lid and handle back together? I believe both parts are stainless steel. Thank you.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to join food saucepan lid and handle ?

Good morning, again @Makita 

You can weld stainless steel - otherwise cobalt drill some holes - large pop rivets or stainless steel bolts and nuts to attach.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Makita,

Thank you for your question about how to attach a handle back to its a saucepan lid.

As @Noyade has suggested, the best way to reattach the handle would be to weld it, but obviously this is easier said than done for most.

Unfortunately, due to the heat that the handle will face, adhesive would probably fail quicker than you hope. You could try Power Grip™Super Strong All Purpose Glue Adhesive, but it would not last forever.

My suggestion, if the handle is hollow, is to use two stainless steel screws such as these Zenith 10G x 15mm Stainless Steel Self Tapper Pan Head Sheet Metal Screws. Predrill two pilot holes from the top to mark the location of the handle, then drive the screw up through the lid into the handle.

If the handle is not hollow, you would need to predrill a hole through the lid and the handle and use a stainless-steel bolt of a suitable size such as these Pinnacle M3 x 16mm Stainless Steel Hex Head Bolts And Nuts. Please use this product as an example only, you would need to confirm sizing in person to ensure its compatibility.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Just a sunset thought @JacobZ 

I have drilled into thick steel - not all the way through - and with a judicious choice of pop-rivet length, it still manages to hold well. Nothing is seen on the other side.

12mm steel below.

I'm wondering if this would work if the stainless steel handle is solid? 

Cheers mate.

20240707_165533.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects