Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Prempanel acoustic panels around kitchen island bench?

Wilson1122
Getting Established

How to install Prempanel acoustic panels around kitchen island bench?

Hello, 

I am wanting to use the prempanel slatted timber acoustic panels (in black) around my kitchen island bench.  

I’m wondering if I need to seal the cuts/bottom, so that they don’t get any moisture from spills on the floor, or moisture from

IMG_5029.jpeg

mopping? 

Or should I position them slightly raised off the floor, with a gap (say 2cm), between the panels and the floor. 

I also don’t want to attach them with liquid nails, so I was hoping to just screw them in with black button head screws. Will this be okay to screw straight into the existing island bench?

Thank you. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Moisture concerns - Prempanel Acoustic Panels

Good Evening @Wilson1122 

I really like your idea! You could go eaither way but I would probarly go the second of your suggestions, that way it limits issues that may arrise.

Mopping around the panels tho, I have checked the panels out pretty much every time ive walked past them in the aisle and they look great. They are a material backing so I think they may absorb splashes. You could still use them but just slow mopping around them maybe?

To answer the question of screw verse liquid nails. Id say yes but I would use a larger washer with the screw. Also factoring in the length of the screw not to go all the way through the cabinet wall :smile: Because the material has a spongyish back is why I am suggesting the largest washer you can fit between the fins of timber. You could also paint the bottom of the cabinet (kickboard area) black so you may not notice the distance off the floor.

Last question and its just for intrest sake, Are you mounting them horizontaly or verticaly? 

Dave

Wilson1122
Getting Established

Hi Dave, 

Thank you for your reply. It’s very helpful ☺️

I was going to use 16mm screws. I hope they aren’t too small, but they shouldn’t go through the exisiting cabinet.  

I’m wanting to use the panels vertically. 

Do you know if these can be oiled to give them a deeper, more richer look?  

I was wondering if I should paint the bottom section if it’s visible, or attach some kind of small skirting type board that is the same depth as the slats (so maybe a 20mm by 20mm piece). The slats will then sit flush on it. And paint that black, so I don’t have to paint the existing cabinet. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wilson1122. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing panels.

I'd agree with @Dave-1 and suggest raising them at least 10mm off the floor. I think that will look quite nice, creating a shadow line. You could use a skirting if you prefer. Being careful while mopping is essential: "DO NOT use Prempanel Decorative Wooden Slat Panels in areas where the panels may get wet or damaged by moisture."

Regarding the screws to use: : "Use black 8g x 40mm Button Head Panels wood screw, fixed at 300mm centres across the width of the panel and 600mm centres along the length of the panels. Fix screws through the black felt. Do Not use countersunk head screws as these will not provide the holding required to secure the felt.". These Otter 8g x 16mm Matt Black Button Head Screws would be the best choice if your cabinetry is only 16mm thick.

You can choose from three different colours: natural oakwalnut, and black. However, you could use a stain to achieve a colour in between.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello Mitchell,

Thank you for your reply. That’s very helpful. 

I will definitely raise them off the ground now.

I purchased the 16mm screws as I didn’t want them going right through the cabinetry. Do you think they will be sufficient? And do I need to use a washer, and if so, which one? 

And if I were to use skirting, can you suggest one please. I’m not familiar with most woods and what can be used on a kitchen floor that will have the RoboVac/Mop going up against it.  (I am new to this!). And if I paint, is there a particular type of paint that paints over the cabinetry, which seems like a laminate product. 

I am also hoping to cut out a slight nook in the top of the slats, to put in some strip lighting. 

Thank you. 

Also….. do I need to pre-drill holes into the existing cabinetry, or can I  drill straight in once the panel is up against the wall? Thanks! 

I think the 16mm screws will be sufficient @Wilson1122, but since you are not glue and are not using the required length screw I'd just add a few extra to make sure it holds. They have a rather large head, and this is all the installation guide calls for. The panels are only 10kg, so I don't think you'll have an issue if you pop in, say, eight fixings per panel.

For the skirting, I'd suggest a piece of hardwood, like Tasmanian Oak. Just make sure to paint it on all sides before installing.

If you were to paint the cabinetry, you'd have to use a cabinetry paint such as the Dulux Renovation range.

Those screws have a needlepoint, so I don't believe you'll need to pre-drill the cabinetry. Just make sure you keep pressure on the drill as you drive them in.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you again, this info is really helpful and it makes me feel much more confident going into this project!  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects