Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix laminate benchtop discolouration?

bronc
Getting Established

How to fix laminate benchtop discolouration?

Hi, I need some help to rectify some discolouration on my kitchen benchtop. Not 100% sure what the benchtop surface is, as was there when I bought the property,  but think it's a stone look laminate.  Black in colour but i have a white discolouration after had some racks covered in backing powder resting there.  I've tried vinegar etc to fix it but not helped.  When you wet the area it goes back to black but reverts when dry.  Any hints on what to try to restore the colour would be appreciated! Picture attached. 

20240131_213811.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix laminate benchtop discolouration?

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Bunnings Workshop @bronc. We hope our members can assist you with this problem as well as many others in the future.

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to assist as soon as possible. In the meantime, could you please share some wider photos of your benchtop so members might be able to get a better idea of what the surface is? It will be important to correctly identify what the surface is in order to recommend next steps.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @bronc 

Thanks for sharing your question about your benchtop. In order for you to identify if it is a laminated top, I suggest looking underneath and see if any of the bottom part of the benchtop is on show. You'll possibly see three things, a white laminated surface, a timber MDF surface or the exact same type of benchtop finish. If it is the same finish odds are it is a stone benchtop.

If it is a stone top, I propose engaging the services of a professional stone top restorer. They will be able to polish the stone top back to its original finish. 

But if it's a laminate finish, I recommend using Glitz 200g Beeswax Polish applied with a clean rag. Place the wax on the surface and wipe it around in a circular motion. Do not polish the surface yet. Your goal is to get the wax to travel into the surface of the laminate. Take your time and don't rush the process. 

If successful, the discoloration should fade away. You can now buff the surface to a nice finish.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your benchtop restored.

Eric

bronc
Getting Established

Thank you Jason! Uploading a couple more pictures. From erics comment looks to be laminate.

bronc
Getting Established

Thanks so much Eric!

That's very helpful,  I've taken a couple of pictures, I can see wood, so based on your description above it seems to be laminate? I've also included a picture

20240201_173842.jpg

20240201_173739.jpg

20240201_173639.jpg

of greater bench area however sun shining on it so not sure how helpful it is. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @bronc 

Thank you for posting those extra photos, I take it back, its a stone or composite type benchtop. The timber at the bottom is there just to pad the stone to make it look thicker. The baking powder has somehow penetrated the surface of the benchtop.

If you have access to a VAX Platinum Spot Wash Spot Cleaner VACSC21E or a wet and dry vacuum cleaner. I propose soaking the area with hot water and dishwashing liquid. Let it sit for a minute or two but do not scrub the surface. Use the spot wash cleaner to suck all the water from the surface making sure to go very slowly so that you get the full effect of the vacuum. 

Hopefully it will pull the baking powder that got stuck to the pores of the benchtop surface. Repeat the process for stubborn spots, if the faded spot still refuses to go away, I'm afraid it's time to call in the professionals.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

bronc
Getting Established

Hi Eric

Thanks very much,  Bugger! I'll see what i can do,  but may need to get professional help!

Appreciate the advice. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects